Scops draw tube has play

Scops Motorised Off Axis Guider
nother

Scops draw tube has play

Post by nother »

Hi,

overall I am very satisfied with the build quality of the Scops, but I have an issue with the draw tube of the Scops.
When the guide cam is mounted on the OAG and fixed with the lock ring, I can easily move the cam a bit back and forth (not in/out).
This play of course has influence on the picture and stars are moving. I am just afraid that even slight wind might be able to move the cam even when it's a tiny bit, but for guiding it's extremely important to a rock solid position of the cam.

Any suggestions? I'm afraid, that just tightening the two small grub screws is not enough, because the lower part auf the slide/bearing is fixed and can't be adjusted. So the tube will have play anyway.
For me it looks like a construction issue.

Any hints on how to improve this?

Best, Chris
maheitk

Re: Scops draw tube has play

Post by maheitk »

Hi Chris

I have the same problem, so it would be nice to get a solution. The main thing for me is, that when using a rotator, the guide cam starts wobbling a bit.

CS
Martin
nother

Re: Scops draw tube has play

Post by nother »

I managed to minimize the play by:

- removing the grub screws and glue that was holding the screws but also blocking the small balls on the tip of these screws (blue arrow, but both sides!!)
- tightening the grub screws in a way that the motor was just able to move the belt (blue arrow, but both sides!!)
- tightening also the screws at red arrow
- putting some grease on the tube and the notch where the grub screws are holding the tube in place

It's not perfect, but I think that neither wind nor rotation should move the camera now.

But it's also still my opinion that Pegasus made an insufficient construction of this longitudinal drive that does not match the overall good build quality of the rest of the OAG.