Unable to connect FocusCube 3

FocusCube v1 & v2, Zero, Motor Focus Kit (Universal or Zero)
jehoener

Unable to connect FocusCube 3

Post by jehoener »

Hello. The Unity Platform installed on my laptop does not recognize my FocusCube 3 when connected: it does not appear on the main Menu Screen when connected. Also, I cannot connect to FocusCube3 in SGP or NINA. I have updated ASCOM and reinstalled the Unity Platform. I understand that the Unity Platform contains the necessary ASCOM drivers, but a NINA popup error message says that the ASCOM drivers aren't found. Windows 10 machine. The red LED indicator is glowing solid red. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

NOTE: I AM able to make the motor operate by using the FocusCube3 Dashboard on a browser on my laptop.
Last edited by jehoener on Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wheeljack

Re: Unable to connect FocusCube 3

Post by Wheeljack »

I'm also having issues with the v3. Very similar to this:

viewtopic.php?p=2368#p2368
jehoener

Post by jehoener »

UPDATE: I solved my problem! Pegasus Support answered my call for help quickly and said:
Please note that FCv3 requires a USB port capable of delivering 900mA, so a regular USB2 port would not work. Also, make sure the USB port/hub you are using has the suspend setting set to OFF.
In order to be able to help you further, I'd like you to go through this troubleshooting guide and provide us with the required answers:
https://pegasusastro.com/troubleshootin ... f8afea0d30

While going through the troubleshooting guide I found that the USB cord I was using was defective. When I replaced it I was able to connect and run the FocusCube. A simple fix!
Wheeljack

Post by Wheeljack »

I'm connecting mine via a Pegasus Powerbox Advance Gen2, using the USB 2.0 ports. I emailed pegasus prior to placing an order and they assured me that would work.

I'm now thinking this might not be the case. On the powerbox, I'm currently using 2x Dew Heater ports, 2x USB 3.0 for imaging camera and guiding camera and 2x USB 2.0 for mount (EQ6-R Pro) and the last one for the focuser.
This exact setup works fine when connecting a FocusCube v2.

Power to all of this is being fed via the Pegasus 220v adapter.
PaulH

Post by PaulH »

Same problem for me as well. I use a UPBv2. The manual says that each USB port can deliver up to 2.5A, so FC3 has sufficient current to run from either the USB3.1 or the USB2 ports.

My UPBv2 USB hub connects to my camera (QHY268m - powered by the A/C adapter, the power box provides USB connectivity only,) guide camera (ASI290mm-mini,) EQ6-R Pro, Falcon Rotator, and Focuscube3.

AFAIK, this should be sufficient power for the connected devices.