FocusCube v3

FocusCube v1 & v2, Zero, Motor Focus Kit (Universal or Zero)
Astromicron

Re: FocusCube v3

Post by Astromicron »

Hello
I've just bought a Focus Cube V3.
there is some failure
I'm going to test everything properly
Wheeljack

Post by Wheeljack »

I've also concluded that the FCV3 and the Powerbox Advance Gen 2 is not a good combo.
Evans even sent me a new board, but the same thing kept happening. Sometimes it manages a focus-run, sometimes it disconnects after just a couple of move-sets. If I connect the cube directly to the PC, everything is working flawlessly. (So the actual cube works fine)

I use the same powerbox (not a different box of the same model, but the exact same one) for a smaller scope too, which has the FCV2 fitted. Same ports, same everything else and that one is working just fine, and I suspect it is because it draws its own 12v power - even if that is also through the powerbox.

Your routine is similar to mine.
- I start Unity (since it appears NINA is not able to fully take advantage of the "auto dew" settings on the heaters unless Unity is started first)
- Launch NINA
- Connect All

I will probably invest in a powerbox ultimate at some point in the future.
davevenne

Re: FocusCube v3: Problem self-inflicted and solved

Post by davevenne »

Add another user to the list of those suffering from FC3 disconnects. Same symptoms: random disconnects in both NINA and Unity. The focuser seems to finish the requested traverse just fine, but the connection is lost and can't be restored without disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable.

I am trying to running it through a Pocket Powerbox (firmware 2.12.1). The FC3 firmware is 1.4.1.

[EDIT] The Powerbox was the key. All the USB ports on it are labeled USB 3, but they're not--two of the four are, two are USB 2. And guess which I was always connecting the FC3 to. :oops:

Problem solved by piggybacking a powered USB 3 Hub on top of the Powerbox. It's a cable nightmare right now, so I too will probably invest in an Ultimate at some point.
kgb2024

Post by kgb2024 »

Really wish I had found this forum before I got involved with the FC3. Ended up losing a good percentage of my imaging time last night wondering why the focuser position would drop to '30' (not zero like others had experienced) and the connection to the FC3 would drop out, then throw an ASCOM error, which would then require me to unplug/replug the FC3 and reload my camera in Sharpcap which would reload the FC3. Unfortunately, after a few focus commands the failure/process would repeat.

I thought that power might have been the issue so, using all of the included cabling, I connected the FC3 through a 12v powered USB hub. This improved the connection somewhat, but I still experienced drop outs.

I did not update the firmware since I was in the field and didn't want to brick the unit in the event I had experienced a firmware failure. Will try to update the firmware before my next imaging session, but it is readily apparent that this focuser/driver was not ready for primetime when it was released.

Disappointed, but it is what it is at this point. If this unit cannot be powered through a hub, it will require me to reconfigure my entire astroimaging setup just to accommodate the FC3.