Firmware update via Unity under WIN11 fails

Harmonic Geared Mount
ChrisHD

Firmware update via Unity under WIN11 fails

Post by ChrisHD »

Hi PA team and NXY-101 users,

I have the following reoccurring issue:
Every time a firmware upgrade for the NYX-101 is available I‘m unable tu install it from my little Astro PC
running under WIN11. I use a MelE Mini PC which is connected to a Powerbox Ultimate V2. A Falcon Rotator
and the NYX-101 is connected to the Powerbox via USB. The PC and the NYX-101 are connected to my home
WIFI network. Both connections USB and WIFI are displayed in the Unity NXY-101 user interface.

When I try to start the Firmware upgrade in Unity it takes some time before finally a failure shows up.
This happens repeatedly with every try.
I then unplug the Powerbox from the WIN11 Mini PC and plug the USB cable into my Dell Notebook running WIN10.
The Firmware upgrade the works immediately. This happens the same way with the 3 last firmware upgrades.

Is this a known issue and is there a solution to it?

Best regards
Christof
Jockey

Re: Firmware update via Unity under WIN11 fails

Post by Jockey »

Maybe this thread will help.

viewtopic.php?t=668

Cheers
Tim
ChrisHD

Post by ChrisHD »

Thanks Tim,

i knew the threads about connecting / not connecting USB but the principle question remains.
Let me ask this way:

I have kept the NYX connected to USB while running the firmware upgrade on both PCs.
Why does a Firmware upgrade work under WIN 10 but not under WIN11 if everything else is the same?

By writing this I recognize that there is a difference! My WIN10 Notebook is connected to my home
network via cable! I missed that when I’m home I plug my notebook in a kind of mini docking station
and in this case the notebook discovers the network connection via LAN cable and therefore does
not connect to my WLAN as a cable connection has priority. Could this make a difference? Hard to imagine.

I wonder if some WIN11 settings, if it is security / firewall related or what ever could have changed from
10 to 11, are responsible that the firmware update progress bar in unity stays at 0% until an error pops up
while it works immediately under WIN10?
How does this upgrade process take place? Is the first step the download of the upgrade package?
And does the download probably fail by running into a timeout? Does WIN11 probably block ports
or something else by default that WIN10 does not?

I unfortunately did not save or screenshot the error message, even it happened to me the third time.

CS
Christof
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

[Why does a Firmware upgrade work under WIN 10 but not under WIN11 if everything else is the same?]

I have the same problem and I don't have any real idea why.

[By writing this I recognize that there is a difference! My WIN10 Notebook is connected to my home
network via cable! I missed that when I’m home I plug my notebook in a kind of mini docking station
and in this case the notebook discovers the network connection via LAN cable and therefore does
not connect to my WLAN as a cable connection has priority. Could this make a difference? Hard to imagine.]

I don't think it makes a difference. Both my Win 10 and Win 11 laptops are always connected by WiFi to my home network.

[I wonder if some WIN11 settings, if it is security / firewall related or what ever could have changed from
10 to 11, are responsible that the firmware update progress bar in unity stays at 0% until an error pops up
while it works immediately under WIN10?]

I think you are right. Maybe Win 11 handles things differently, particularly security.

[How does this upgrade process take place? Is the first step the download of the upgrade package?
And does the download probably fail by running into a timeout? Does WIN11 probably block ports
or something else by default that WIN10 does not?]

I don't know the process.

Cheers
Tim
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Win10 or Win11 is not related. It works with both OS.

It might be related with your windows firewall.
Try to disable the firewall or check here:

If you fail to discover the mount via Wi-Fi, the most common reason is your firewall configuration in Windows. So, please ensure your Windows firewall does not block Unity Server (Peg.Server).
To do that please check the below screenshot and enable both options (private and public) to allow the server exchange packets with the mount's Wi-Fi.
-> If for any reason you have multiple Peg.Server records in your firewall list, it is recommended to remove all of them, open Unity, and let Windows rediscover the network connection.
firewall.jpeg
firewall.jpeg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
ChrisHD

Post by ChrisHD »

Thank you for the hint about the firewall settings. I in fact had two entries one for private and one for public networks.
The reason for the two might be that I first setup everything at home and later I took the setup for holidays and the
hotel network was then setup as public. I removed the two and created a single entry as displayed in your post.
Once a new NYX101 firmware update arrives I will report if this solved the problem on my WIN11 machine.

Best regards
Christof
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

Thanks Evans,

I also had two entries in the Firewall settings, one Public and one Private.
I deleted them both then recreated s single setting with both Private and Public enabled.
I will try it out at the next upgrade, same as ChrisHD.

Cheers
ChrisHD

Post by ChrisHD »

I finally can report success.
After changing the firewall settings from two two one entry the update procedure runs without any problems.
Thank you Evans
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

I also just had success with the latest mount firmware update using my Windows 11 Laptop, after cleaning up the windows firewall as suggested by Evans.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers