SDK for NYX-101 mount to make a personal hand controller

Harmonic Geared Mount
rimcrazy

SDK for NYX-101 mount to make a personal hand controller

Post by rimcrazy »

l was thinking I would like to try to make a bare bones hand controller, something with just NSEW buttons to slew the NYX during the day when I have my Lunt Solar telescope on it. My routine is I visually get the sun in the eyepiece and line up my Hynode Solar Guider. Once that is done I will calibrate the Hynode if required and the put it into guide mode. Once that is done I don't touch things much unless the Hynode is drifting, which it does about every 3rd time. Usually that is because of a self inflicted issue but regardless it is necessary or a heck of a lot simpler to just push button slew to back on target and go. I noticed on the download page you mention a SDK but there is none to be found. Is one available and if yes, how can I get access to it?

As an aside, I've seen previous posts from last year where employees have posted on this forum that Pegasus is working on a hand controller. If you are just months away, my actions are kind of moot. If your a year away, I could probably put something together in a month that to me would be useful.
Evans
Site Admin

Re: SDK for NYX-101 mount to make a personal hand controller

Post by Evans »

We are working on a hand controller. It will be more complicated than NSEW buttons but you will like it.
The estimated launch should be after summertime.
rimcrazy

Re: SDK for NYX-101 mount to make a personal hand controller

Post by rimcrazy »

I had heard some rumors to that effect but was not sure. I have a "band aid" solution using a hand held trackball that works with an iPad. I use the iPad with Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to a Mele PC that sits on my OTA. In this mode, getting "clicks" to work reliably is hopeless with your finger. With the trackball, clicks are very reliable but pointing is tricky, especially in daylight when visibility of the screen is next to impossible without a sun shield so yea, keep that visual in your mind of what's necessary without a hand controller. ;-)

This is good news. If you need a beta tester I'm your man. I have an NYX on order from Agena Astro. I believe they will have them mid-May so if thats true I will be set. I use my Lunt both in daylight and in astro mode for evening photography or viewing.