USing the Nyx with a battery power source

Harmonic Geared Mount
skybadger

USing the Nyx with a battery power source

Post by skybadger »

Hi
I.ve been using the Nyx with a battery power source - a LiPo , that delivers 12v to the Nyx and also to the onboard electronics of cameras etc.
I've noted that when :
The onboard pc is connected by USB
the android 10 phone is connected to the Nyx hotspot

when I have used the phone to move the scope, I get poor end-of-click response - ie the scope carries on moving for a while after stopping pressing the movement key.
Sometimes it never stops stops moving and I have to restart the mount. Typically this is also accompanied by the hotspot connection dropping - I tend to have the safari pro instance on my phone tell me the connection has dropped.

Is this indicative of brownouts for excessive current draw ? I moved to using the 5A mains supply due to poor wifi connectivity and the wifi improved significantly.
I'm now looking to reduce the overall current draw on the mount. More than 5A is going to be a problem for remote without mains.

regs
Mike
Jockey

Re: USing the Nyx with a battery power source

Post by Jockey »

Hi Mike,

This may not be too helpful but is all I have.

I use a 12V battery (LiFePO4, 12.8 V 36 Ah by Miady) feeding my Nyx 101 directly.
Another 12V feed goes directly to a Pegasus USB Control Hub which feeds & talks to the Guide Camera; talks to local Laptop, camera (self powered Nikon Z6ii) and Nyx 101.
A dedicated USB-C PD feed from the battery powers the Laptop.
A dedicated USB-C PD feed from the battery powers a Travel Router.
I have capacity to feed heaters for the main and guide scopes, directly from the battery.

There was no power distribution built in on my previous mount, so I had made a heavy duty battery box with all the output sockets needed. I have just carried on using it the same way now I have the Nyx 101. So I don't use the power out facility on the Nyx 101.

I don't use the Nyx 101 WiFi. The local laptop (Surface Go) is connected through the Travel Router WiFi, with range to my house or car.

This setup has proven to be reliable and have all night endurance, at 0 degrees C. LiFePO4 holds its voltage steady until almost empty, unlike LiPo.

Cheers
Tim
[Edited for clarity 25 Apr 2023]
Last edited by Jockey on Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Mount consumes 2-2.5A during slewing and 0.65Amps during tracking. We provide a 5A PSU which, to be honest, is an overkill for what the mount needs :)
A LiFePo battery is perfect. I use the same type.
skybadger

Post by skybadger »

Thanks both for the comparisons .
My setup is :
Power from battery (Krysdonia - Amazon) to the Nyx
Power out on 2nd connector with 4-way split to
a, Mitie 3 quiet pc on the mount.
b, USB3 hub - itself powers the Nikon D5000 battery supply (USB to 8.2v) , Pole master camera and ASI 178m (non cooled) camera on OAG.
c, DSD AF2 focuser
d, astroKit dew heater controller

The on-board pc provides a hotspot using a licensed instance of connectify. This has proved quite reliable.
I intend to use ASCOM and Voyager on the on-board pc to manage sequences throughout the night but to do initial setup, the hand controller is essential.
As far as I know, the only way to control the Nyx from the phone is direct to the Nyx Wifi.
The battery is capable of providing 5 amps and runs the system fine once up and sequenced. ITs just use during setup I have problems with.

I'll do a couple of things - measure the battery voltage and current during setup.
I'll have to check that the 5A mains supply fixes the problem. I agree that at 5A its perfectly capable of running the mount. I'm looking for experiences that help me determine whether I'm having brownouts by sharing with the rest of the mount.

Cheers
Mike