User Experiences

Harmonic Geared Mount
noons

User Experiences

Post by noons »

I was happy to find this forum since I have been having a hard time researching this mount. Being that the NYX-101 is still a fairly new mount there is not a lot of info online about performance with particular setups. The CloudyNights NYX-101 thread, while informative, is 39 pages long and the applicable information I'm looking for is few and far between. A lot of the forums are based on topics where folks have issues and a lot of the success information never gets written.

I'm currently using an EQ6R-Pro with both a SVX80T-3SV and a modified GSO 10" f/5 newt which weighs in around 39.5lbs. I guide with an OAG, never shoot unguided, and recently transitioned from ASIAIR to a NUC with NINA/PHD2/Stellarium. The newt taxes the EQ6 to the max. I can get 0.3"-0.9" with guiding once it is meticulously balanced and carefully polar aligned... but it is finicky, sometimes I'm lucky to get 1.2". I'm looking to increase my payload and I'm between a G11, the NYT-101, and the CQ350.

In order to help with my decision, I'm asking if people can share their experiences with 40-45lb OTAs, what counterweight shaft folks are using/how they have noticed that a counterweight helps, how is the NINA integration, how consistent is the guiding... and....

...if you shoot with a 10" newt and left an EQ6R behind for the NYX-101, how was that transition and has it worked out for you?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan
Jockey

Re: User Experiences

Post by Jockey »

I can't answer most of your questions as my rig is much lighter.
My tests so far have been with my travel 80mm / 480mm Triplet refractor, payload total 4.5kg. It has all gone well.
Guided at 2sec in PHD2.

My main scope is a 125mm / 740mm APO, total payload 10.5kg. Will be used next time we get clear skies.

I can say I run NINA on a Surface Go on Windows 10 and use the PC version of Unity. I find everything works very well and I am happy.
Both Nina, Unity and Nyx 101 had recent software / firmware updates and that ironed out a few little bugs. Reviews more than 1 month ago would not have had those updates.

Cheers,
Tim
noons

Re: User Experiences

Post by noons »

Well thank you Tim. That is helpful. I appreciate the response.