Fully loaded 11" too much, backslides often

Harmonic Geared Mount
wannaberocker

Fully loaded 11" too much, backslides often

Post by wannaberocker »

Hello guys, I love the mount... however it seems to backslide quite a bit with a fully loaded 11" so I have to add a counterweight shaft and weight to stop this. seems even just a 12 lb weight was enough to help stop the backsliding. After adding the weight it has been good. My question is: is there a chance any internal damage caused from backsliding? Also is there a hand control available yet? Also what are the plans for a dedicated tripod? The carbon fiber one it comes with is just not enough. Also I had to fuss around and rig up an old celestron counterweight shaft and some thread adapters to get the weight added to the mount head. Are there plans for an actual counterweight shaft and weight that fits this unit properly? Thanks.
Evans
Site Admin

Re: Fully loaded 11" too much, backslides often

Post by Evans »

No there is no issue.
Probably the motor torque collapses when there is high-speed slew.
For this reason, we suggest decreasing the max slew rate in Unity to 3 degrees or less.
This will keep torque high on gotos and it will slide. (mentioned in manual also)
skybadger

Post by skybadger »

you should find any vixen or Skywatcher counterweight shaft with M12 thread fits.
wannaberocker

Post by wannaberocker »

Found the perfect solution to this, https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568043 ... _shipto=US

Edit: this shaft does not work at all, the thread is too fine. Sorry for anyone who was mislead.
streak

Post by streak »

I've had the exact same experience while using an EdgeHD 11 without a counterweight bar. Even when using a slew rate less than 3 degrees, the scope will still occasionally "backslide" (rapidly swing down towards the tripod). Hoping a counterweight bar will resolve this issue.