USB3 and Wifi interferences - root cause analysis

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
rodolgo

USB3 and Wifi interferences - root cause analysis

Post by rodolgo »

Hello everyone,

After experiencing multiple unexplained wifi disconnections in the field, I believe I have norrowed down the root cause of my problems.

My setup:
* UPBv2, NUC connected to the UPBv2 through USB3, the NUC is positioned and attached to the UPB, both tied up on top the the OTA.
* The camera is connected to the UPB, PS on one of the UPB ports, and USB3 connected to one on the free USB3 UPB ports
* The NUC drives the mount (AP, Mach1, GTO CP4) through WIFI (2.4 Ghz) with a backup connection through and plain old RS232 port for failover; the APCC software is used as an ASCOM hub, which is launched first to drive the mount
* All of this is remotely operated through WiFi, with Windows Remote Desktop (WiFi again) - I connect to the NUC through wifi, in the 5 Ghz bandwidth - this connection seems pretty stable

My observations:
* When the camera is powered off, APCC "sees" the mount through wifi as expected and can connect to it through wifi - no issues whatsoever, stable and reliable for hours
* The moment I power the camera on, the wifi connection between the mount and the PC breaks and APCC swithches to the RS232 connection (failover); I thus suspect the USB3 connection between the UPB and the camera "interferes" with the wifi connection (2.4 GHz)
* If I turn off the camera, then APCC is then able to connect to the mount through wifi

My conclusions:
* USB3 and wifi 2.4 GHz do not seem to play well together

My questions:
* what can be done to isolate the UPBv2 from the NUC? I assume this has been considered during the design of UPBv2, because Pegasus sells a specific plate to attach both devices together...
* Has anyone met the same issues and how did they solve it?

Thanks.
KR
Rodolphe
rodolgo

Re: USB3 and Wifi interferences - root cause analysis

Post by rodolgo »

Responding to myself, for the benefit of others.
I've just replaced the USB3 cable with a shielded USB3 cable, and... it solved the problem!