Unity app does not show any equipment

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
Texwardo

Unity app does not show any equipment

Post by Texwardo »

I have an Ultimate Powerbox and FocusCube, and have been using the Unity app. Tonight when I was connecting my equipment, my Windows 10 laptop unexpectedly went into power saver mode and shut down. When I connected the power and the laptop came back up, the Unity app no longer showed either my UPB or my FocusCube. I uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired the Unity app, ASCOM Platform 6, and the latest .NET framework multiple times, rebooting, powering everything down and back up again, to no avail.

The Unity Home Screen just shows an “Application” icon. When I attempt to connect to or configure the focuser or UPB in ASCOM or in NINA, a PegasusAstro Unity screen appears with “Searching for devices…” which never finds anything after up to an hour of searching.

I am able to connect to the UPB in the old Ultimate PowerBox app, but I still can’t connect to the focuser. And neither will connect in NINA.

Any suggestions?
AstroShed

Re: Unity app does not show any equipment

Post by AstroShed »

Yes same here, windows update and it’s broke the app again, this is getting really anoying now, it happened a few weeks ago, is it going to happen on every windows update…😡😡🙁🙁
AstroShed

Post by AstroShed »

There is no COM port being created at boot up, and so unlike last time it broke, this time I can use any devices that are plugged into the USB hub, what is this…why does it just not work like a hub, it did last time the app broke…
eBird

Post by eBird »

Same here and it's SUPER frustrating for such an expensive set of equipment. I've got an UPBV2 and Focus cube, and the Unity app will NOT recognize either one. Just loads up and shows the configuration button, no devices. Close and reopen it like a dozen times, suddenly the devices will appear (if I'm lucky).

What is the fix to this?? Using a MiniX PC that works with all of my other equipment.
L67Sleeper

Post by L67Sleeper »

Do we have a fix for this yet? I am 100% down and unable to turn on my dew heaters because of this exact issue.

Help....
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Please follow this process. Usually these issues have to do with faulty config files or corruption in database configuration settings.

https://pegasusastro.com/troubleshootin ... 4d9afb2a02
L67Sleeper

Post by L67Sleeper »

I tried that process and while it seemed like it might work sadly it didn't. I moved my UPBV2 back to my old computer running an older version of Unity and it started working again. However I let that older version update and it INSTANTLY broke it on the old PC. It seems like something is wrong with the newest version or the newest version of Unity on combanation with the newest version of Windows.

I never liked Unity from the start, it is SLOW to load (sits at the UNITY splash screen for about 10 seconds while loading) and feels bulky. I would rather have a lite version that just lets me control the attached devices and things like a dew heater from ASCOM without the overhead. I would be willing to pay for that even because the alternitive is to get rid of the UPBV2 and that thing was not cheap. The hardware is great its just the software that I have had problems with.

I wonder if we could write something to make the API calls to bypass Unity and talk directly to the devices? My PC sees the devices it is just Unity tht cant and because of that I can't get in and turn on the dew heaters.

Has anyone else found a fix for this?
L67Sleeper

Post by L67Sleeper »

I FIXED IT! I switched to the MUCH FASTER and MUCH MUCH MUCH better "older software" and it connects to the UPBV2 and ROTOR perfectly. It is just Unity that has issues. I uninstalled that "software" and installed the original software from 2021 and BINGO I am back online. Also a side note the software loads almost instantly and does not display the goofy UNITY logo for 15 seconds or however long that goofy logo splashes on the screen.

I think I am done with Pegasus hardware until they look long and hard about the "software" they are pushing out. It was working until the latest update of Unity and that's when it broke, support did not agree with that finding when I contacted them... So... Anyway at least it is working again. Also to get to the software you have to go to the software tab for whatever device you're looking for and install ASCOM and the standalone software.

I am happy again! :)
Texwardo

Post by Texwardo »

I was so discouraged after the last failure that I did not use my AP setup for a little more than a month after my issue. After the new year, I tested my setup again, inside my house during daylight, and much to my surprise, the UPB connected. I installed the new app from Pegasus, and also updated the firmware once I was sure that I had a stable connection. I have not had any problems since. There still seems to be a bit of delay (up to 30 seconds) for NINA to recognize and connect to the device, but so far **KNOCKS WOOD** it has been stable for the last four nights I've been able to use it in the field.

Thanks for the update, guys.