DMFC and Unity not working with ASCOM

Dual Motor Focus Controller (DMFC)
RogerHill

Re: DMFC and Unity not working with ASCOM

Post by RogerHill »

The following was sent on Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 16:11 UTC:

Hello, Pegasus Astro Support Team,

My Pegasus Astro Dual Motor Focus Controller is now completely non-functional.

The LED light does not come on when it is connected to a working 12V power supply. I tried three different power supplies just to make sure.

When the unit is connected to a PC, the PC does not recognize that it has been plugged in. There is nothing in Device Manager to indicate when the device has been connected to a PC. Again, I have tried a desktop, and two laptops, and there is no response from any of them. Two machines are running Windows 10 Professional, and one is running Windows 10 Home. Two of the machines are in my house, and the third is in my observatory. I also tried several USB-A to USB-B cables that are also known to be working, too.

Nothing I have tried gets any response from the unit.

I have three telescopes, two of which have stepper motor focusers on them:
1. An 80mm f/7 APO that has a Moonlight focuser with a 12V ZWO EAF;
2. A 6”Ritchey-Chretien with a TS-Optics MONORAIL focuser, which has a USB-FOC.US motor and controller that is still working after almost 10 years of service; and
3. A 12” Meade SCT that has a Meade Zero Image Shift Focuser, which is the telescope that I want to use your DMFC with. The focuser continues to work with a JMI Motor focus controller that I’ve had since 2005. Eventually, I want to replace the DC motor in the ZIS focuser with a small stepper motor, which is why your DMFC is so attractive.

I contacted the owner of the company I purchased the DMFC from, and was advised to get in touch with you.

How do I return this unit for replacement or repair?

Thank you,

Roger Hill
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

This forum is a user forum and does not handle support cases. Please reach us at support email.
RogerHill

Post by RogerHill »

The unit was sent to Greece and is on its way to Canada.

Pegasus have been very responsive, and I'm really looking forward to getting the unit back and in service.

The next step will be modifying my Meade Zero Image Shift focuser to take a stepper motor.

Does anyone know how to identify the wires in a stepper motor so that this type of unit can drive it?

Thanks!
pleiades

Post by pleiades »

RogerHill wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:19 pm The unit was sent to Greece and is on its way to Canada.

Pegasus have been very responsive, and I'm really looking forward to getting the unit back and in service.

The next step will be modifying my Meade Zero Image Shift focuser to take a stepper motor.

Does anyone know how to identify the wires in a stepper motor so that this type of unit can drive it?

Thanks!

Hello Roger,

Was the DC motor your problem in this special case? Thanks!

Regards,
Yves
RogerHill

Post by RogerHill »

Hello, Yves...

No. I had to use an old JMI Motofocus hand controller while the old unit travelled to Greece, and the replacement travelled back to Canada. A poor substitute, but I could work with it.

Pegasus replaced the unit, and the new one arrived about 2 hours ago. I'm now in my SkyShed POD, overlooking the St. Lawrence river, trying to test everything now that I have also downloaded the latest software. Unity seems to be working!

I use APT (Astrophotography Tool) to control cameras, filter wheels, focusers, etc. I'm really hoping that it can control the DMFC and allow autofocus.

Thanks for the interest, Yves...it was appreciated.

Roger
pleiades

Post by pleiades »

RogerHill wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:57 pm Pegasus replaced the unit, and the new one arrived about 2 hours ago. I'm now in my SkyShed POD, overlooking the St. Lawrence river, trying to test everything now that I have also downloaded the latest software. Unity seems to be working!
Hello Roger,

So it seems that the DMFC was a faulty unit. I'm glad that everything now is working for you.

Regards,
Yves
RogerHill

Post by RogerHill »

Me too, Yves.

I was out with it last night and was able to use the autofocus function of APT, which was the entire point of buying this unit.

Roger
tdaiber

Post by tdaiber »

Roger,

glad you got it working in the end. May I ask, how well APT is working with the DMFC?
On my scope I have a DC motor driven by JMI Smartfocus which works quite well. But after running into trouble with autofocus in Nina I tried the DMFC. The JMI uses an encoder which is quite nice for an absolute value of focuser position, but when Nina tries to set it to a certain value SmartFocus tries and tries to reach this exact position which does not really work in my case.
DMFC runs the motor fine, but autofocus does not really work. For some reason the first half of the V-curve looks fine but when the motor travels to other side of the best focus position, it fails somehow in reaching this position. In the next run, the best focus lies further out as if the focuser had not travelled beyond best focus in first run.
Moreover, whenever I connect DMFC to Nina it reports the same position, no matter where I did set this before. Unity seems to work fine though regarding the reading. I also do not have problems moving the focuser back and forth for manual focusing.
The focus position in Nina is also very different from the Unity reading. While the latter is something like 8000-10000, Nina always starts at 500000.

Very weird.

Torsten