Unity screen is blank

Feature requests / 3rd party software development
astroguy67

Unity screen is blank

Post by astroguy67 »

Hi,

I just installed Unity. I have ASCOM 6.6 running. I have an UPBv2. The Unity screen comes up and is blank except for an icon in the center labeled Application Configuration. The UPBv2 does not appear. What am I missing?

Computer is running Windows 10 Pro 54 bit.

Thanks,

-Jim
BigAlB

Re: Unity screen is blank

Post by BigAlB »

HI Jim
I have exactly the same problem. Connecting a PowerBoxV2 to Unity for me, usually does not work and I get the blank screen with only the configuration.

I have tried contacting support, but they say it is not a problem they have come across so in a way I'm glad you posted.
They also suggested that it was probably a conflict with USB drivers and how the device is announced to the device manager ie a problem with the computer.
I have a brand new i7 Windows 11 system which checks out 100% with Intel's driver support assistant so I suspect not.

A previous poster with a similar problem was told that to connect properly you need to connect power first and then USB but this is not easy for me with my automated system.

I can usually get Unity to connect if I first connect and then disconnect the old utility but his is obviously also not ideal.

For now, I am having to stick with the old utility which fortunately works very well although as usual with older utilities its days and features are probably numbered.

Cheers

Allan
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Please reach us at support@pegasusastro.com to investigate the problem via an anydesk session.
If the devices are not discovered then the Pegasus Server might not run in the background.
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Have you all gotten this sorted out?

Pegasus folks: when things go to offline support, we miss what the fix may be. I know a support goal is to keep problems private, but it would be helpful to have this information so we don't spend an entire evening trying to make something work.
  • Newly provisioned Windows 11 22H2 mini PC powered via mains. I am connected to it over remote desktop.
  • ASCOM 6.6 SP1
  • Brand new Pocket Powerbox Advance Gen2
  • CEM120 powered via mains
I have the same issue with a Pocket Powerbox Advance gen2. Unity screen comes up blank with just the settings block as described in this thread. I verified the server has started (I even tried to restart it, but the port was already bound, so it's running for sure). Little red light is on on the side of the device. USB-connected devices appear to work (although I didn't know this at first)

I then tried a number of steps, including restarting Unity in between them.
  • I directly connected the PPBA to the PC (first connect was through mount built-in hub) using a quality USB3 cable.
  • Tried different USB3 cables including the one that came with it.
  • I uninstalled the Unity platform and tried the old drivers. No connection.
  • I reinstalled Unity. Still no connection
Then, I tried to get the Uranus meteo sensor connected to the PPBA to see if the USB ports worked. It worked for a second, and then Unity popped up an error and crashed out. No event log entry. I ran it again. By skipping past the error, I was able to get the Uranus to come up again. Now it's coming up each time without that DPI exception. (Error at end of this post).

12v Power output from the PPBA2 works fine as far as I can tell (It's powering my focuser). If I connect the Uranus to it (minus the app errors), It seems to detect that. But the PPBA itself never shows up in Unity.

So PPBA seems to work, but I can't see it in or control it from Unity.

--

:shock: But wait! There's more now

As I was typing this up, I opened Unity again, and now the Pocket Powerbox Advance appears, but the Uranus doesn't!. So then I went back outside and unplugged and replugged the Uranus and now both show up. It feels like unity or the ASCOM drivers not finding the right COM port, but that's a wild guess.

So just to tempt fate, I closed Unity and then reopened it. Back to square zero with no devices showing up. This feels so brittle and non-deterministic.

Closed it again. Waited like 30 seconds, and then reopened it, and now both devices appear.

(Aside, I clicked the little question mark at the top right of the map in the Unity app because I was wondering why, after an hour or so, still no GPS. The help button does nothing. I tried them in many places in the app and nada. If help is not implemented, I recommend hiding the buttons.)

Pete

Error when the Uranus is connected to the PPBAv2. Note I'm connected to this mount PC over remote desktop.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Nullable object must have a value.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
at DevExpress.Skins.DpiProvider.get_DpiScaleFactor()
at DevExpress.Skins.Skin.get_DpiScaleFactor()
at DevExpress.Skins.SkinElement.get_DpiScaleFactor()
at DevExpress.Skins.SkinElement.get_ActualScaleFactor()
at DevExpress.Skins.SkinElement.get_ActualInfo()
at DevExpress.Skins.Skin.ResetRenderedImage()
at DevExpress.Skins.Skin.ResetAllRenderedImage()
at DevExpress.Skins.Skin.OnSvgPaletteChangedCore()
at DevExpress.Skins.Skin.OnSvgPalettesChanged(Object sender, CollectionChangedEventArgs`1 e)
at DevExpress.Utils.Svg.SvgPaletteDictionary.RaiseChanged(CollectionChangedAction action, SvgPalette palette)
at DevExpress.Utils.Svg.SvgPaletteDictionary.OnSvgPaletteChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at DevExpress.Utils.Svg.SvgPalette.RaiseChanged()
at DevExpress.Utils.Svg.SvgPalette.SetCustomPalette(SvgPalette palette, Boolean forceUpdate)
at DevExpress.Skins.Skin.UpdateTemplateSkinCustomPalette()
at DevExpress.LookAndFeel.UserLookAndFeel.SetSkinPalette(String paletteName)
at DevExpress.LookAndFeel.UserLookAndFeel.SetStyle(LookAndFeelStyle style, Boolean useWindowsXPTheme, Boolean useDefaultLookAndFeel, String skinName, String paletteName)
at Peg.UI.Theming.LookAndFeelService.SetSkinStyle(UserLookAndFeel lookAndfeel, Theme theme)
at Peg.UI.Theming.LookAndFeelService.ModifyUserLookAndFeelToCurrentTheme(UserLookAndFeel userLookAndFeel)
at Peg.UI.Core.WaitForm.get_TargetLookAndFeel()
at DevExpress.XtraSplashForm.SplashFormBase.get_SplashFormSkinElement()
at DevExpress.XtraSplashForm.SplashFormBase.get_DrawAlertWindowBackground()
at DevExpress.XtraSplashForm.SplashFormBase.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintTransparentBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle, Region transparentRegion)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle, Color backColor, Point scrollOffset)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaintBackground(PaintEventArgs pevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.OnPaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TableLayoutPanel.OnPaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintTransparentBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle, Region transparentRegion)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle, Color backColor, Point scrollOffset)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaintBackground(PaintEventArgs pevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.XtraControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.BaseWndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
Pete Brown
Microsoft Windows + Devices
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Quick update: That exception gets thrown when connecting or disconnecting a device while Unity is running. It also gets thrown if I reboot uranus from *within* the Unity software.

Pete
Pete Brown
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Rebooted the PC.

Uranus came up in NINA. PPBAv2 did not. So opened up Unity, and yep, only the Uranus shows up in it.

Pete
Pete Brown
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Preparing for more imaging tonight. The Uranus was left connected over USB for several days (under cover from the weather). The PPBA2 is on the OTA I brought out, so that was not connected again until just now.

No Uranus in Unity. No PPBA2 in Unity. The hub and power on the PPBA2 is working, but there's no way for me to look at it or change settings.

Unity version 1.6.677.30

I went to check in Unity Configuration if there were any updates, just in case. I clicked the "check" button, and there's zero acknowledgement that anything has happened. No message saying that I'm up to date. No message saying I need updates. I have no idea if that's working or not.

Peg.Server is already in the firewall exception list, so that's not it.

There's a reporting option I don't recall seeing before. That lists the Uranus as a data source for the report.

Unplugged USB from the Uranus sensor and replugged it in. The Unity Platform "Nullable object must have a value" error came up, but so did the sensor information from the Uranus. (Hit continue on the error dialog to be able to continue using the app)

Pete
Pete Brown
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

It seems that the Unity exception is caused by a bug in the threading and rendering of controls.
This issue started in the latest Unity as we have heavily optimized the load time of the application/device discovery and interaction between different threads.
The good news is that we have already fixed this bug and a new Unity release is going to be available this Friday.
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Evans wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:47 pm It seems that the Unity exception is caused by a bug in the threading and rendering of controls.
This issue started in the latest Unity as we have heavily optimized the load time of the application/device discovery and interaction between different threads.
The good news is that we have already fixed this bug and a new Unity release is going to be available this Friday.
Thanks.

Are there any recommended practices to get the devices to show up consistently?

Pete
Pete Brown
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

So today, the PPBA is showing up, but the Uranus is not. I unplugged the uranus and plugged it back in. I rebooted the PC. Nothing.

I went to check for updates in Unity to see if the latest version dropped, but clicking the "check" button provides zero feedback. I'm not sure if it's working and there are no updates, or if it's failing.

I don't have these kinds of issues with any of the other non-Pegasus USB-connected devices on this telescope. My Nitecrawler, which also uses USB->Serial comes up. My cameras come up. The filter wheel comes up. My thumb drive always mounts. The CEM mount, which also uses USB->Serial comes up. This isn't an issue with cables or hubs or anything like that.

No errors or warnings in any of the Windows event logs.

From the logs, I see it checks COM4, COM3, COM5 but does not check COM7. Maybe that's the issue?

My Moonlight Nitecrawler focuser/rotator is on COM5
The Pegasus PPBA is on COM3 according to the log

That means the Uranus, if it's on a COM port at all, is on 4 or 7.

When I try to connect to the Uranus from ASCOM diagnostics, it pops up a unity "Search for devices" window which just keeps scanning. Unfortunately, it doesn't log any activity while scanning, so no idea what it was doing.

So I went outside to check on the Uranus, which has been under cover. I unplugged and replugged, pressed buttons. The display is off. But I think I set the option for the display to always be off last time it came up. So I can't tell if it's dead or fine.

So I just closed Unity again, and this time I got an offer to update to 1.6.1062.39. I updated it, and it came up. Zero devices shown. I closed it, and ran it again. This time, it came up, but there's a downloading window, and the PPBA is visible behind it. So I'm letting it finish downloading.

It has installed, and while I was reading the release notes, they automatically closed and the PPBA came up in Unity. Still no Uranus and no obvious way to get to the release notes again. Instead, the "About" page just has the end user license agreement that I had already had to agree to to install. Release notes would have been more useful.

Rebooted the PC one more time, just to see if anything changed.

Brought up Unity again, but before anything else like my mount. Release notes were there for a second again, but couldn't read them in time for it to close. Still no uranus sensor. But the PPBA is up still.

Log looks the same but there's a new exception when looking to update the PPBA firmware:

2022-11-07 15:58:49.2668|ERROR|FirmwareUpdateManager||System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareRepository.GetByDeviceName(String deviceName)
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareRepository.GetByDeviceNameAndRevision(String deviceName, String revision)
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareUpdateManager.LookUpForDeviceUpdates(Device device)
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareUpdateManager.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<Start>b__1()

I don't know if the Uranus is on COM7, or if it's even a serial device, but COM7 still wasn't checked from what I see on the logs. I also see that it comes up in device manager as "USB Serial Device" instead of "USB Serial Port". Oddly, when I look up the VID for that VID_1B4F, it comes up as SparkFun Electronics. I don't have any sparkfun stuff on this. The PID is 8D21 which doesn't have any matches out there.

So I opened up peg.0.Log and I see a ton of exceptions trying to communicate to Uranus, but none from this week. They are all from a previous imaging session:
2022-10-30 19:16:19.8834|TRACE|PollingService|ID:UranusDriver.36f42a7e-34ac-44c3-aa3f-a8c9b7a038bd.SkyMeasurement, Interval:00:00:03, Operation:<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_0, Thread:94 ,error.|System.InvalidOperationException: You must open the channel before Send a command.
at Peg.Engine.CommunicationChannel.SerialPortCommunicationChannel.Send(String cmd)
at Peg.Engine.CommunicationChannel.CommunicationChannelProxy.Send(String cmd)
at Peg.Engine.Driver.Uranus.UranusDriver.<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_0()
at Peg.CoreServices.Polling.PollingAction.<Start>b__20_0()
2022-10-30 19:16:19.8834|TRACE|PollingService|ID:UranusDriver.36f42a7e-34ac-44c3-aa3f-a8c9b7a038bd.AstronomicalInfo, Interval:00:01:00, Operation:<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_3, Thread:116 ,error.|System.InvalidOperationException: You must open the channel before Send a command.
at Peg.Engine.CommunicationChannel.SerialPortCommunicationChannel.Send(String cmd)
at Peg.Engine.CommunicationChannel.CommunicationChannelProxy.Send(String cmd)
at Peg.Engine.Driver.Uranus.UranusDriver.GetAstronomicalInfo()
at Peg.Engine.Driver.Uranus.UranusDriver.<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_3()
at Peg.CoreServices.Polling.PollingAction.<Start>b__20_0()

There's 462,005 lines of that, but nothing else.

Pegasus log attached. Maybe there's something helpful in there? I find it interesting that it doesn't check every COM port. Maybe that's the actual problem. (Related: it would be nice to be able to retain some number of past logs. I was surprised to see it wipes the main peg.log each time you run Unity)

As an aside, you all have a spelling mistake in your function name here. Attach shouldn't have a third "t" in it:

at Peg.Engine.DeviceLocator.SerialPort.SerialPortDeviceLocatorMatchingRuleRepository.GetByMatchingDeviceIDToDeviceIDFragment(String deviceid)
at Peg.Engine.DeviceLocator.SerialPort.SerialPortDeviceLocator.Attatch(String deviceID, String deviceName, String comPort)

Bunch of other spelling mistakes in the logs, like using "not connected clients" instead of "no connected clients", "reseting" instead of "resetting", etc.

Pete
Attachments
peg_log.zip
(2 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Pete Brown
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Reset the Uranus using the pinhole button. Now it's working again and comes up in Unity.

TBD how long both devices are visible, but I'll take it for now.

Pete
Pete Brown
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Note. Still a bunch of unhandled exceptions in the log.

2022-11-09 13:38:00.1219|ERROR|SerialPortDeviceLocator|Rule.DeviceName:[Uranus] DeviceID:[204A-3A3428ED] at SerialPort:[COM6] failed to retrieve Revision.|System.Exception: USB Converter Not found for deviceId: 204A-3A3428ED
at Win32Api.Win32DeviceManager.GetRevisionByDeviceId(String deviceId)
at Peg.Engine.DeviceLocator.SerialPort.SerialPortDeviceLocator.Attatch(String deviceID, String deviceName, String comPort)
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1219|DEBUG|SerialPortCommunicationChannel|Cloning SerialPortCommunicationChannel Portname:COM6, BaudRate:115200, Parity:None, Databits:8, StopBits:One|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1219|DEBUG|SerialPortCommunicationChannel|Created SerialPortCommunicationChannel Portname:COM6, BaudRate:115200, Parity:None, Databits:8, StopBits:One|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1219|TRACE|SerialPortDeviceLocator|Acknowledgement completed. Device found [Uranus] at Port: [COM6]|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1219|TRACE|SerialPortDeviceLocator|DeviceID:[204A-3A3428ED], Discover Time:[0.0639415]|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1374|ERROR|FirmwareUpdateManager||System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key 'Uranus' was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareRepository.GetByDeviceName(String deviceName)
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareRepository.GetByDeviceNameAndRevision(String deviceName, String revision)
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareUpdateManager.LookUpForDeviceUpdates(Device device)
at Peg.Engine.FirmwareUpdate.FirmwareUpdateManager.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<Start>b__1()
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1374|DEBUG|SerialPortDeviceLocator|Event[USB]-> Received ClassPath: \\PMB-ASTRO-2\root\CIMV2:Win32_PnPEntity|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1374|DEBUG|SerialPortDeviceLocator|Event[USB]-> RawDeviceID: USB\VID_03EB&PID_204A\5C587A2C50555233342E3120FF142913|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1519|DEBUG|SerialPortDeviceLocator|Event[USB] -> SAMD21 Detected: USB\VID_03EB&PID_204A\5C587A2C50555233342E3120FF142913|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.1519|TRACE|SerialPortDeviceLocator|Error on ParseARMCortexDeviceID() deviceID: USB\VID_03EB&PID_204A\5C587A2C50555233342E3120FF142913|System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Peg.Engine.DeviceLocator.SerialPort.SerialPortDeviceLocator.ParseARMCortexDeviceID(String deviceid)
at Peg.Engine.DeviceLocator.SerialPort.SerialPortDeviceLocator.<HandleUSBDetectionEvents>b__19_1(Object s, EventArrivedEventArgs e)
2022-11-09 13:38:00.6908|TRACE|PollingService|ID:UranusDriver.36f42a7e-34ac-44c3-aa3f-a8c9b7a038bd.SkyMeasurement, Interval:00:00:03, Operation:<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_0, Thread:140 ,hit the road.|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.6908|TRACE|PollingService|ID:Uranus.36f42a7e-34ac-44c3-aa3f-a8c9b7a038bd.SchedulerPublisher, Interval:00:00:01, Operation:<StartSchedulerPublisher>b__61_0, Thread:172 ,hit the road.|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.6908|TRACE|PollingService|ID:UranusDriver.36f42a7e-34ac-44c3-aa3f-a8c9b7a038bd.AstronomicalInfo, Interval:00:01:00, Operation:<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_3, Thread:172 ,hit the road.|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.8850|TRACE|PollingService|ID:UranusDriver.36f42a7e-34ac-44c3-aa3f-a8c9b7a038bd.Reporting, Interval:00:00:15, Operation:<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_2, Thread:172 ,hit the road.|
2022-11-09 13:38:00.8884|TRACE|PollingService|ID:UranusDriver.36f42a7e-34ac-44c3-aa3f-a8c9b7a038bd, Interval:00:00:01, Operation:<UranusDriver_Started>b__5_1, Thread:172 ,hit the road.|
Pete Brown
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Most of them do not show a problem

E.g: 2022-11-09 13:38:00.1374|ERROR|FirmwareUpdateManager||System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key 'Uranus' was not present in the dictionary.

There is no configured new firmware release and that's why it reports an exception
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

Evans wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:03 pm Most of them do not show a problem

E.g: 2022-11-09 13:38:00.1374|ERROR|FirmwareUpdateManager||System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key 'Uranus' was not present in the dictionary.

There is no configured new firmware release and that's why it reports an exception
This is nitpicking for sure, but that shouldn't be an exception if it's a scenario you expect to see, and not an actual error.

someDictionary.ContainsKey is what you want (or even TryGetValue). Guard instead of throw.

Pete
Pete Brown
AstroShed

Post by AstroShed »

Evans wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:47 pm It seems that the Unity exception is caused by a bug in the threading and rendering of controls.

Hi, has this issue been sorted, as I have this problem with my UPB v2 only being seen about 50% of the time I connect, and I have the Unity app from a download 4 days ago, I wrote to your support email and was told, it was a windows issue as only a few people had reported it, so is there a fix please….??
Cheers
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

AstroShed wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:40 am

Hi, has this issue been sorted, as I have this problem with my UPB v2 only being seen about 50% of the time I connect, and I have the Unity app from a download 4 days ago, I wrote to your support email and was told, it was a windows issue as only a few people had reported it, so is there a fix please….??
Cheers
Did they say what Windows issue, exactly? Did they say if they had reported it to Microsoft? I don't see anything in feedback hub or the bug work items.

If not, I can help with that. Feel free to add me to the email thread if appropriate: pete.brown@microsoft.com

Pete
Pete Brown
AstroShed

Post by AstroShed »

Psychlist1972 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:24 am
AstroShed wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:40 am

Cheers
Did they say what Windows issue, exactly? Did they say if they had reported it to Microsoft? I don't see anything in feedback hub or the bug work items.

If not, I can help with that. Feel free to add me to the email thread if appropriate: pete.brown@microsoft.com

Pete
This is the reply I got from Pegasus support, it tells me absolutely nothing…. I also tried there suggestions and it’s still exactly the same….☹️☹️

“We've had a similar report a couple of other times among hundreds of sold UPBv2's, so we are confident it's a software issue that has to do with your Windows environment.
Please perform a clean Unity re-installation using the instructions here https://pegasusastro.com/troubleshootin ... 92afad132f
and also try reinstalling .NET Core components (should be v3.1.xxx)”
pleiades

Post by pleiades »

Evans wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:00 pm Please reach us at support@pegasusastro.com to investigate the problem via an anydesk session.
If the devices are not discovered then the Pegasus Server might not run in the background.
Hi Evans,

It happened several times on my side. The only way to correct this was to reboot the computer.

Is there a way to implement a feature to force searching devices? Thanks!

Regards,
Yves
ArieDome29

Post by ArieDome29 »

I am having similar problems with the UPB V2 and Indigo filter wheel.
They developed a few days ago. I had just installed a miniPC (Mele) in my dome.
I connected up the old PC again (Dell Optilex I5), which has been up and running in that position before. To my big surprise the problem persisted on that computer too. ??
For a few years the UPB V2 and a few months the Indigo have functioned flawless.
Then all of the sudden this connection problem occurred.
I have send a few long emails to support and am now waiting for the reply (weekend)
Devices are being blocked access to their COM ports, they have been using for ages before.
Indeed plugging and unplugging and plugging and rebooting sometimes allows the connections being made.
But very erratic. So cabling must be OK. I haven't changed those. However I tried with 5 other USB3 cables to make sure.
This is very frustrating.
Where do I find these logs? The place where they are supposed to be is empty.

Hope this can be fixed soon as my observatory is out of order now.
The failing filter wheel I can replace with the ZWO wheel I have kept just in (this) case, but the UPB V2 has no alternative for a remote operated dome.
Psychlist1972

Post by Psychlist1972 »

ArieDome29 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:57 am I am having similar problems with the UPB V2 and Indigo filter wheel.
They developed a few days ago. I had just installed a miniPC (Mele) in my dome.
I connected up the old PC again (Dell Optilex I5), which has been up and running in that position before. To my big surprise the problem persisted on that computer too. ??
For a few years the UPB V2 and a few months the Indigo have functioned flawless.
Then all of the sudden this connection problem occurred.
I have send a few long emails to support and am now waiting for the reply (weekend)
Devices are being blocked access to their COM ports, they have been using for ages before.
Indeed plugging and unplugging and plugging and rebooting sometimes allows the connections being made.
But very erratic. So cabling must be OK. I haven't changed those. However I tried with 5 other USB3 cables to make sure.
This is very frustrating.
Where do I find these logs? The place where they are supposed to be is empty.

Hope this can be fixed soon as my observatory is out of order now.
The failing filter wheel I can replace with the ZWO wheel I have kept just in (this) case, but the UPB V2 has no alternative for a remote operated dome.
Not sure what the UPB has that your dome needs, but there are other options like this:

https://wa-chur-ed.com/powerstar/

Pete
Pete Brown