NINA Error with FocusCube2

FocusCube v1 & v2, Zero, Motor Focus Kit (Universal or Zero)
rhedden

NINA Error with FocusCube2

Post by rhedden »

I just received a new FocusCube2 and installed the latest drivers. I am using the device through NINA V1.10 HF3 and ASCOM Platform 6 on a Windows 10 machine, which I installed today after encountering an error with a previous version of NINA. The error persists with the latest NINA version.

The FocusCube2 is connecting properly through NINA. I am able to manually change the target position through the Equipment/Focuser dialogue. I verified that the device moves the focuser, and I can move stars in and out of focus.

However, I encounter an error upon pressing "Start Auto Focus" in the Imaging window of NINA as illustrated below. Suggestions appreciated.

For completeness, here are my other settings in NINA regarding the focuser.

Evans
Site Admin

Re: NINA Error with FocusCube2

Post by Evans »

Hello,
Try to reboot to exclude any stalled process in background
Make sure you have the latest ASCOM and you have installed Unity Platform (includes the new ascom drivers).
rhedden

Post by rhedden »

I do not have Unity Platform installed. I will provide an update once I have it installed. Thanks!
rhedden

Post by rhedden »

Installing Unity Platform alone and rebooting did not help.

Downloading the latest ASCOM (6.6) and rebooting fixed the problem.

My previous ASCOM installation was less than one year old, so it appears that a fresh ASCOM installation is necessary, in case someone else encounters the same error.

Thanks very much!
rhedden

Post by rhedden »

Bad news here. I was able to test the device at the telescope tonight, and it reverted to showing (exactly) the same error illustrated above. I am using the latest versions of ASCOM, NINA, and the Pegasus Unity platform. I spent about one hour trying every possible setting, but with no improvement. The FocusCube connects, and it moves properly when the position is changed manually in NINA. When I press the Start Auto Focus button in NINA, the autofocuser moves by the specified number of focus steps, the camera takes a photo, and then the error message appears.

I would like to check that I have selected the right driver in the drop-down menu in NINA. I have been using Pegasus Astro Dual Motor Focus.

If I choose PegasusAstro FocusCube instead, the device connects, but I am unable to get the position to move manually in NINA; it shows position 0, even though the position was at 3350, and it is unresponsive to requested changes in position. If I try Start Auto Focus, it throws a different error.

Edited to add: the latest NINA version I am using is still 1.10 HF3. I am not using the 2.0 Beta 060 version.
rhedden

Post by rhedden »

Update: I installed the 2.0 Beta 060 version of NINA at the urging of a friend on another forum, and the FocusCube now works properly.
rhedden

Post by rhedden »

I'm a few weeks into using my FocusCube 2 after overcoming the software issue, which seems to have been an issue with NINA rather than the Pegasus driver. The FocusCube2 is working flawlessly on my Esprit 100ED, and I trust it 100% to deal with autofocusing while I'm asleep.
jwaters125

Post by jwaters125 »

Same problems and errors here with NINA 2.0 RC002. I will be uninstalling UNITY and going back to the old drivers.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

I do not find a problem with NINA 2.0 RC002.
Everything works fine when you select the device and click connect.