Is The FlatMaster Too Dim for NB Filters?

FlatMaster 120 / 150 / 250
jwaters125

Is The FlatMaster Too Dim for NB Filters?

Post by jwaters125 »

As the title says. Are these flat panels too dim for NB filters?
Evans
Site Admin

Re: Is The FlatMaster Too Dim for NB Filters?

Post by Evans »

Boost brightness profiles on the software increases brightness able to shorten exposures.
Usually a telescope close to f/6 and 7nm NB filters are fine.
jwaters125

Post by jwaters125 »

Thanks
greglatiak

Post by greglatiak »

Which suggests if one is using an f/9 scope and narrower cut filters that the output could actually be too dim.
Sitt65

Post by Sitt65 »

I agree Greg, the Flatmaster is terrible for NB flats - its way too dim. NB flats take forever to do my usual 30.
Pegasus should bring out a firmware update to make the panel brighter.
I'm seriously contemplating buying a different flat panel and selling my Pegasus Flatmaster which turns out to be an expensive mistake
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

This is not true.
The latest Flatmaster 150 Led (with Led technology) is very bright.
The amazing thing is that customers complain for both cases. (Device is too bright or device is too dim)
Sitt65

Post by Sitt65 »

Over 78 seconds for one Sii flat, and you don't think thats too long?
It would be nice if you could put out a firmware update to increase the brightness of this Flatmaster.
If the Flartmaster was good as you claim then why did you change the LED to a brighter one?
AdonisBradley

Post by AdonisBradley »

I agree Greg, the Flatmaster is terrible for NB flats - its way too dim. NB flats take forever to do my usual 30.
Pegasus should bring out a firmware update to make the panel brighter.

adidas terrex
Sitt65

Post by Sitt65 »

I note that Pegasus have just released an updated version of their Flatmaster the FlatMaster 250L which now comes with stated exposures of 2-3 seconds for 3nm filters "The Flatmaster 250L can go up to very high brightness levels so it can easily support short exposures (2-3 seconds at f/7) with 3nm narrowband imaging filters"
So my question to Pegasus's is why did you bring out an updated model if there was nothing wrong with the previous Flatmaster 250 as you claimed?
I (along with other buyers of the original Flatmaster 250) spent a small fortune on your Flatmaster 250 and have complained numerous times about how long it takes to complete narrowband flats yet the only response from Pegasus is that there's nothing wrong with how dim the Flatmaster 250 is and that I can get away with only shooting 2 or 3 narrowband flats (as per email from Angelos 22 October 2021)...
To be honest, based on the response from Pegasus I don't believe that I will buy a Pegasus product again. Trying to brush me off when it takes 78 seconds to shoot one Sii flat and then release an updated version of the Flatmaster is a real kick in the teeth!
At the least, Pegasus should be bringing out an updated firmware OR supply a modification that I can retrofit to my Flatmaster in order to make it work as sold. I live in a heavily light polluted area and the majority of my imaging is NB work, as such, the Flatmaster 250 is not fit for purpose.
Cepheus0815

Post by Cepheus0815 »

I have the Flatmaster 150 and for NB filters, especially 3nm ones, it is not really working. In the blue area it is better (70 sec for OIII), but in the red area I need 300 sec for H-alpha and S-II. The problem is not the brightness, but the LED color spectrum is only bright in the blue/green space. Is there a brightness per wavelength diagram for the LEDs?

P.S.: I am a big PegasusAstro fan (owning 6 products from them), but the Flatmaster is always a problem. Sometimes not regonized and if it is ocnnected to Unity, it can't be accessed by NINA.