FC and Astro Photography Tool (APT)

FocusCube v1 & v2, Zero, Motor Focus Kit (Universal or Zero)
Whirlpool51

FC and Astro Photography Tool (APT)

Post by Whirlpool51 »

I am now the proud owner of a Focus Cube V2 and I have this attached to my Altair Astro 115EDT refractor.

My camera is an Atik 428 EX and I am using a Atik EFW II. My capture software is APT version 3.88 that has the new Auto-Focus control routine.

I have all the drivers and your Focus Controller software installed and with this device. And I am able to connect the focuser using Focus Controller, to manually focus. But also using APT

On Saturday night. I was able to do that on the Moon and Alpha Arietis (Hamel). Using FC software.

I want to ask a couple of questions, please?

1. Am I correct in thinking that you have to pre-focus on a star using a Bathinov mask before implementing APT and Auto-Focus?
I did this but when running a focus routine the star was defocused and I had to manually re-focus using your software.

2. I have not been able to find any information regarding setting up this excellent focus cube to run in APT. It seems people tend to only use NINA or SGP.
I prefer the Astrophotography Tool program because of its simplicity and ease of use. Can someone on here please give some pointers so I don't waste another clear sky here in the N-W UK?

Many thanks
Paul A Brierley.
Evans
Site Admin

Re: FC and Astro Photography Tool (APT)

Post by Evans »

No, you do not have to pre-focus.
Just make sure that you are close to focus point and let the imaging software do the auto-focus routine by doing a V-Curve focus.

All modern software (APT, SGP, NINA) use the V-curve model so you can use any of them with excellent focus results.