FlatMaster 150 Suddenly Brightens

FlatMaster 120 / 150 / 250
mkuehner

FlatMaster 150 Suddenly Brightens

Post by mkuehner »

Hello,

I recently purchased a FlatMaster 150 and I'm having issues getting it to work properly. The issue I'm having is that the unit will all of a sudden brighten to max brightness after a short time which seems to vary. This problem will happen irregardless of how the unit is being controlled. I've tried a purely manual setup with no software running, just plugging it in to my usb port and pushing the button to set a brightness level but after no more than 30 seconds the unit will go to full brightness. I've tried running it automatically with both SGP and Voyager and the same issue occurs. I've tried USB 2 and USB 3 ports (its plugged in to a Ultimate Powerbox V2). As it stands, my unit is completely useless and I'm hoping you may have some suggestion or fix for the problem. Thanks

Mark
mkuehner

Re: FlatMaster 150 Suddenly Brightens

Post by mkuehner »

After further testing it appears that the issue is with the Ultimate Power Box USB ports. I went and plugged the FlatMaster directly in to the laptop and it worked perfectly. If I plug it into any USB port on the UPB, the problem occurs. Not sure what's going on here and I hope that I don't have an issue with the UPB although all other equipment hooked to it works fine. Any thoughts on your end?

Mark
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Strange, It should work with the UPBv2. I tried and I coudn't replicate your issue.
A USB3 port is prefered as it delivers more current than USB2.
Although , the UPBv2 delivers same current on any USB port.

What kind of PSU do you have for the UPBv2?
mkuehner

Post by mkuehner »

I have a 15 Amp power supply that I picked up on Amazon, not sure who makes it. I plug it into a APC battery backup unit with power condtioning which is supposed to keep power spikes and noise out of the power cables. As I said earlier, all other gear works fine and the FlatMaster works perfectly when I use the USB on my observatory laptop which is USB3. I have no idea what the issue is.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Seems that Flatmaster resets. During reset (reboot) the max brightness is forced on boot.
When supplied current from USB is not enough the Flatmaster will definitely reset.
Most of the boost profiles require a USB3 port which can deliver more power than a common USB2 port.