Pocket Powerbox Advance - USB Port 1 does not work

Evans
Site Admin

Pocket Powerbox Advance - USB Port 1 does not work

Post by Evans »

Please notice that only 3 out of 4 USB Ports are compatible to USB2 devices

A large number of USB3 Cameras from QHY and ZWO require USB2 signalling / enumeration before switching to USB3.
These cameras are not going to work into USB Port1.
Please ask your camera manufacturer if your camera works into a USB3 (only) native port.

Ruediger

Re: Pocket Powerbox Advance - USB Port 1 does not work

Post by Ruediger »

Hi all,
ZWO ASI6200 works with USB3 only.

CS
Ruediger
tdaiber

Post by tdaiber »

Rüdiger,

I checked this for the 2600MC too but found the following: The camera is not recognized when I unplug and replug it during a session. I need to unplug the PPBA in order to get the camera back.
Can you maybe check this on your 6200? Would be interested in your result.

Thanks a lot.
Best regards
Torsten
Kasra

Post by Kasra »

I seem to have a problem with Port A too. It seems that Port A only supports USB 3 devices. The only USB 3 device in my whole setup is the ZWO ASI6200MC Pro. When I connect the camera to Port A, it doesn't work properly. None of the other devices (guidecam, EQ Mod cable, Cube V2 focuser etc) use USB 3. That makes Port 1 completely useless, no?
Can you please advise?
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

ZWO has also a hardware USB bug/issue (it has to do with the USB chip/brand they use) that camera does not discovered if it has been powered before plugged the USB cable to a USB Hub

The workarround is to first plug your ZWO camera to USB and then to the 12V output.

For the record and for anyone who would like to have a better technical answer please check here why this happen. Check the datasheet of CYUSB306X ( the usb chip that most USB3 astro-cmos clones use out there)

https://www.digikey.com/htmldatasheets/ ... b306x.html

On Page 32
cyusb_306x_issue.png
cyusb_306x_issue.png (58.82 KiB) Viewed 12989 times
Kasra

Post by Kasra »

So the way around it is to connect the ZWO camera to USB Port 1, then connect the 12V power and then reset the powerbox as stated in the pic you attached?
splattoon

Post by splattoon »

So what i can gather is that only ZWO hi end cameras($3000plus) may be compatible with Native usb 3 only port 1 , I see no mention of QHY , i did email both QHY and ZWO , QHY tech support seems to say that none of their camera work on thus port, I'm waiting on a clarification email from QHY but the tech said "different from the traditional USB2/3, and needs to be re-debugged" the first part of his email wasn't clear so i'm waiting on a reply

No word from ZWO

regards
robert
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

As both Chineese companies uses the same USB chip the issue happens to both camera brands ((QHY and ZWO).
tdaiber

Post by tdaiber »

To whom it may concern:
PPBA Rev. A
I am not able to connect a QHY 294 Mono or a QHY5III 462 to port 1. Unplugging, replugging, resetting the controller, unplugging it, nothing works. A ZWO 224 connects without issues 💁‍♂️

Greetings
Torsten
curtfleenor

Post by curtfleenor »

Understanding this topic has been discussed many times, I wanted to add my recent experience with a new UPBv2 and two ZWO cameras as it is slightly different and leaves me very apprehensive about how dependable this device may be in the weeks/months to come.

I have a newly purchased UPBv2 (Nov. 18, 2022). When initially connecting devices, I did not know about these issues with USB3 cameras and simply connected my ASI2600MC-Pro to USB port 1; it worked without an issue. I also connected my ASI120-MC to USB port 2 and it worked without issue as well. This was all done on a workbench without the UPBv2 physically mounted to the scope.

After mounting the UPBv2 to the scope and reconnecting all devices, neither ZWO camera would come online while connected to either USB ports 1 or USB port 2.
After much troubleshooting and research, I came across the issues with USB port 1 and USB3 cameras. I found that moving either camera to USB port 3 and/or 4 (also USB3.1 ports) brings the cameras online and they work normally.

The issue I am encountering is that neither of these cameras will come online when connected to USB port 2 in addition to USB port 1.
"Come online" being defined here as populating in ASCOM Diagnostics and available in ASI Studio as an ASCOM camera device.

I have been through the workaround steps repeatedly to no avail:
1. Powering off the rig
2. Disconnecting USB and 12v from the ASI2600MC-Pro
3. Powering on the rig and allowing UPBv2 to come online
4. Connecting USB to the ASI2600MC-Pro after 5-10 seconds
5. Connecting 12v to the ASI2600MC-Pro after an additional 5-10 seconds
6. Disconnect UPBv2 from PC
7. Reconnect UPBv2 to PC

As of this post, I have verified the latest version of ASCOM drivers and ZWO drivers are installed. The UPBv2 is running firmware version 2.4; this appears to be the most recent at this time.

I do now have all devices working in the following configuration:
  • USB PORT 1: Mount (EQMOD USB Cable)
  • USB PORT 2: ZWO EAF (USB 2 Device)
  • USB PORT 3: ZWO ASI2600MC-Pro
  • USB PORT 4: ZWO ASI120MC
Nothing I have tried so far has allowed me to fully reset USB port 2 on the UPBv2 to be used with either ZWO camera.

My fear at this point is that whatever happened with USB port 2 will inevitably happen to USB ports 3 and/or 4 leaving me with a non-functioning USB hub in a $600 device.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Hello,
I am afraid that this issue is off-topic. This topic had to do with USB Port1 of PPB Advance Generation 1 which was a native USB3 port only.

Any issue with the UPBv2 has to be on a different topic.
The UPBv2 is a very reliable device and the USB ports work flawlessly with any USB2 or USB3 camera. (including any ZWO camera)
If you encounter an issue with your camera it is better to contact support for troubleshooting.

Most of the USB problems that are reported have to do with USB cable length or improper USB cables.
Please check below:
https://pegasusastro.com/cable-manageme ... endations/
and here:
https://pegasusastro.com/troubleshootin ... ing-guide/
Kasra

Post by Kasra »

The trouble is that even with a camera (liek ASI6200) that works with Port A, you are essentially using the two USB ports at the back of the camera. The camera would be working fine with Port A, but you won't be able use the two ports at the back of the camera to connect your EFW, EAF etc.
Or am I missing something?