Daisy chain USB Control Hub to PBA gen 1

Discussion about the UCH, our industrial grade, smart USB3 Hub
bflachsbart

Daisy chain USB Control Hub to PBA gen 1

Post by bflachsbart »

Hi,

I'm currently using the PBA gen 1 and would ike to have more USB ports.
Is it possible to connect (daisy chain) the Pegasus Astro USB Control Hub to the USB 3.1 only Port #1 of the PBA gen 1 to extend the number of ports ? Power distribution of the USB Control Hub would also be connected to the PBA gen 1.

Thanks and best regards
Bernd
Evans
Site Admin

Re: Daisy chain USB Control Hub to PBA gen 1

Post by Evans »

The USB specification is limited to a maximum of 7 tiers. Therefore, for there is a hard limit of 5 daisy-chained hubs (not counting the root hub).
bermassi

Post by bermassi »

Sorry for returning on this question after a while. I also have an "old" PPBAdv gen.1 with only USB 2 ports. For saving some money and have more USB ports (also USB 3) I would avoid to purchase PPBA gen 2 for your USB Control Hub (UCH). So my plan to connect both devices would be the follow: PPBA to 12v DC power source and its PC USB port to one of HUC USB3 ports. HUC Pc USB port to PC (of course) while it gets power from PPBA (one of four power outputs) . So in this setup I will have: HUC powered from PPBA, PPBA USB connected to PC via HUC, three free USB 3 ports from HUC, six free USB2 ports from PPBA, three Output 12v power ports from PPBA. This configuration should provide a total of 9 USB ports (including three USB 3) and three 12v output power sources, increasing the possibilities without purchasing a new PPBA gen.2. Of course I will need of both control softwares to operate both the devices. Is it correct?

Many Thanks
Massimo
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG (555.42 KiB) Viewed 4823 times
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Yes, this is correct. You can do that easily