UPBv2 - App does not start / doesnt get connected

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
peter274

UPBv2 - App does not start / doesnt get connected

Post by peter274 »

Hello,
my problem is that the UPB App doesnt get connected. The UPB itself works as configured. The App appears but hangs and does not respond, showing "No connection" (bottom left). Hovering over the App with the mouse shows the "Windows circle turning".
Restart (PC) doesnt help. Stopping UPB App by Task Manager and restarting UPB App doesnt help.
I tried with starting the PC firstable (UPB USB cable plugged in but not powered) and then powering on the UPB: still no connection with the UPB App.

Only if I plug out and re-plug in the USB cable (while MiniPC running) UPB App gets connected.

I tried different (quality) cables.
I am using a MiniX Mini PC (W10, 64 bit, all updates), with remote access through another W10 PC by windows "native" remote; APT.

Any idea? Thanks in advance
Peter
peter274

Re: UPBv2 - App does not start / doesnt get connected

Post by peter274 »

update: problem solved
I tried with my notebook instead of the MiniX PC and had no issues.
Then, on the MiniX Mini PC I deinstalled the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible-Hostcontroller - 1.0 (Microsoft) and restarted; the device (hostcontroller) gets re-installed.
Now UPB is connecting.

happy easter!
Peter
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Great. Thanks for the update
peter274

Post by peter274 »

it is ridiculous.....after the latest firmware update the same issue is back:
no connection to device. I get the message: "Lost communication with device"

...any way to get back?
thanks, Peter
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

This is completely unrelated with the firmware or software update.
Does the led of the device turns on?
peter274

Post by peter274 »

...yes it turns on / red.
Peter
Jeffc

Post by Jeffc »

Was this issue resolved?

I'm also experiencing "hang" at app startup. The UPBv2 is "on".

I can start the app, but when I click "connect" the app hangs immediately. I have to kill it with task manager.

I just installed the keyspan rs232-ftdi-USB driver for another device on the PC. Could there be a conflict with the UPBv2?

Rebooting the PC does not help.
Jeffc

Post by Jeffc »

For my issue, somehow the COM4 became "disabled".

I guess the Pegasus UPBv2 is using Com4.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

There are different issues here that are completely unrelated between them.
This will lead to lots of false assumptions.
E.g:
The UPBv2 does not have a stabdard COM port. Windows automatically create the port so it is random from COM1 to COM254.
Please contact us at support@pegasusastro.com for further troubleshooting of each issue.
peter274

Post by peter274 »

.....update:
@ Jeefc:
this is exactly what I experience. As Evans says the UPB doesnt need a special port. To assign a special port number I deinstalled all devices (ports) and started from scratch. This way I could assign port 1 to the UPB and the other ports to my other equipment. This was the time I could still connect to the UPB (App)...
After the last update I have this same situation as you describe (no App connection)
This tool helps to see:
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... dfrom=MSDN

I tried with my Notebook / Thinkpad (instead of the MiniX mini pc) and can connect with the UPB, so it must be something concerning the USB and / or ports.....

As a side effect of my investigations I found out that some power supplies misinterprete pluggin in a device initially as a short circuit:
when switching on my mount remotely by the UPB everything crashed. There is a significant voltage drop and it is due to the power supply itself ("Leike 10 A power supply"). The power supply in question activates its short-circuit-protection (when I was powering on my mount), shuts the power down and then raises the voltage slowly.

Peter
peter274

Re: UPBv2 - connection issue solved

Post by peter274 »

update:
my issue solved :
- I replaced the power supply (by another, less sensitive to low impedance) - I guess this is a rare problem (and doesnt concern the connection itself); I´ll try that sensitive one again with a buffering circuit / el.-caps...
- UPB App, config: 1. "auto select", 2. connect (there was one invalid device id listed)

as I wrote before, when the App wasnt accessible I deinstalled the USB hub devices
Peter
juliangeorgeshaw

Post by juliangeorgeshaw »

I had the "lost connection with device" message, very frustrating.
Although the UPBv2 still functioned as a data hub and a power hub I couldn't access any of the other features e.g. turning power off and on etc.
SOLUTION: Use the new PegasusAstro Unity Platform to start up the UPBv2 instead of the old Ultimate Powerbox v2 software. Works fine so far.
pleiades

Post by pleiades »

juliangeorgeshaw wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:18 pmSOLUTION: Use the new PegasusAstro Unity Platform to start up the UPBv2 instead of the old Ultimate Powerbox v2 software. Works fine so far.
Sometime that's the contrary. Some devices seem working well only with old software
SiriusDoggy

Post by SiriusDoggy »

I am having weird problems that may be related here too. My system seems to randomly turn off the power output to my mount. But it never does it when I am watching the system. I remote into my rig using Teamviewer to access the NUC that is mounted on the pier. I can sit and monitor the rig and it will run fine with no issues. But if I close TeamViewer and just let the system run, after about 30 minutes, Unity turns off the power output to the mount. Of course this ruins everything.
I've changed to the second power output, issue continues, I've changed the power cable from the mount to the UPBv2, issue continues.
5 times now I've gone to bed hoping everything will run overnight and I wake up 7 hours later to find the software turned off mount power 30 minutes later. Very dissapointing.

Just to be clear, I've left TeamViewer active and it has ran fine with no issues. But it doesn't shut off as soon as I close TeamViewer, It continues to shoot about 30-40 minutes, usually recording another 3 or 4 subs, before the power output turns off. Would there be some indication in the logs?

Can I still find the old version of the software to try?
pleiades

Post by pleiades »

It seems related to TeamViewer. Did you try Windows Remote Desktop?

Yves
AstroShed

Post by AstroShed »

Same issue here, no COM port created at start up, the Unity app will not start at all, none of my connected equipment will be found….windows updated this morning and I guess broke it all again, any ideas please…..??
Downloaded latest Unity update this morning, and still does not work…..🙁🙁🙁
No COM port is created and just a USB error shows up in device manger….