UPBv3 remote access option

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
birketti31589

UPBv3 remote access option

Post by birketti31589 »

Hello everyone,
I've just received my UPBv3 and have everything ready to go, minus one large issue that I'm sure most of you are aware of. Its "Wi-Fi" isn't designed to allow for remote access to all the devices on the OTA. For example, you cannot connect the UPBv3 switch to NINA via Wi-Fi or connect to the Unity platform via Wi-Fi, which almost makes the Wi-Fi attribute useless.

The problem I have run into is connecting the PC port on the UPBv3 to my USB3-fiber adapter and making the long run back to my PC inside. For some reason, it won't make a solid connection, and the Unity platform can't see the UPBv3 or my focuser plugged in, even though all the indicator lights on the adapter are on like they always have been. I've tried isolating the issue by running my adapter like I used to, and it still works perfectly, so I know the adapter and associated cables aren't the issue here.

Before acquiring the UPBv3, I used a powered USB3 hub that connected all my devices. I would then connect its PC port to my USB3-fiber adapter and then connect to my PC inside, which is about 80 to 90 feet away. I would imagine the UPBv3 would do the same, but it does not.

Has anyone run into this sort of problem and if so, what was your solution? I don't relish the thought of leaving my laptop outside anymore, as it's a newer and much more expensive laptop that I'd rather not expose to the elements. At the moment, the only solution I can think of is either leaving my laptop outside or buying a mini PC and using a remote desktop. Neither of which I'm thrilled about considering my previous setup made connections to my PC over fiber with ease; I just had insane amounts of power adapters and USB cables everywhere, which was the reason for getting the UPBv3 in the first place, but it would appear that while it has solved a lot of my problems, it has also created a new one....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Clear skies everyone
birketti31589

Re: UPBv3 remote access option

Post by birketti31589 »

I went with a mini PC and a remote desktop connection for my communications solution. Sure, I had to come up with more equipment, being the mini PC, but the one I went with is relatively cheap and works great.