FocusCube v3

FocusCube v1 & v2, Zero, Motor Focus Kit (Universal or Zero)
Astromicron

Re: FocusCube v3

Post by Astromicron »

Hello
I've just bought a Focus Cube V3.
there is some failure
I'm going to test everything properly
Wheeljack

Re: FocusCube v3

Post by Wheeljack »

I've also concluded that the FCV3 and the Powerbox Advance Gen 2 is not a good combo.
Evans even sent me a new board, but the same thing kept happening. Sometimes it manages a focus-run, sometimes it disconnects after just a couple of move-sets. If I connect the cube directly to the PC, everything is working flawlessly. (So the actual cube works fine)

I use the same powerbox (not a different box of the same model, but the exact same one) for a smaller scope too, which has the FCV2 fitted. Same ports, same everything else and that one is working just fine, and I suspect it is because it draws its own 12v power - even if that is also through the powerbox.

Your routine is similar to mine.
- I start Unity (since it appears NINA is not able to fully take advantage of the "auto dew" settings on the heaters unless Unity is started first)
- Launch NINA
- Connect All

I will probably invest in a powerbox ultimate at some point in the future.
davevenne

Re: FocusCube v3: Problem self-inflicted and solved

Post by davevenne »

Add another user to the list of those suffering from FC3 disconnects. Same symptoms: random disconnects in both NINA and Unity. The focuser seems to finish the requested traverse just fine, but the connection is lost and can't be restored without disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable.

I am trying to running it through a Pocket Powerbox (firmware 2.12.1). The FC3 firmware is 1.4.1.

[EDIT] The Powerbox was the key. All the USB ports on it are labeled USB 3, but they're not--two of the four are, two are USB 2. And guess which I was always connecting the FC3 to. :oops:

Problem solved by piggybacking a powered USB 3 Hub on top of the Powerbox. It's a cable nightmare right now, so I too will probably invest in an Ultimate at some point.