First Light - ASCOM error when connect mount

Harmonic Geared Mount
FAstro

First Light - ASCOM error when connect mount

Post by FAstro »

Hi, first light with NYX-101 mount. Getting an ASCOM error when connect mount. NINA is unable to get mount time. This is a problem as I use NINA to do polar alignment and it will not plate solv, just goes into endless loop trying. ASCOM and Unity firmware up to date. Tried two separate computers, same error when connect mount. I’m not sure if it is a Pegasus, ASCOM, or NINA problem. Any ideas anyone??

--------------N.I.N.A. - Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy--------------
--------------------------Version 3.0.0.2019--------------------------
-------------------------2024-02-18T09:17:43--------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------Microsoft Windows 10.0.22621---------------------
-------------------------OS Architecture X64--------------------------
-----------------------Process Architecture X64-----------------------
------------------------------.NET 8.0.1------------------------------
--------------------------Processor Count 8---------------------------
--------------------Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB---------------------
---------------Available Space on Drive C:\: 180.96 GB----------------
---------------Available Space on Drive D:\: 686.07 GB----------------
DATE|LEVEL|SOURCE|MEMBER|LINE|MESSAGE
2024-02-18T09:17:42.6669|INFO|CameraChooserVM.cs|GetEquipment|69|Found 2 ASI Cameras
………..
2024-02-18T09:17:45.8268|INFO|PluginLoader.cs|LoadPlugin|415|Successfully loaded plugin DIYTrigger version 2.0.0.0 by Nick Hardy
2024-02-18T09:17:46.8301|INFO|ApplicationVM.cs|CheckASCOMPlatformVersion|81|ASCOM Platform 6.6.2.4195 installed
……
2024-02-18T09:17:51.9196|INFO|FilterWheelChooserVM.cs|GetEquipment|193|Found 0 Alpaca Filter Wheels
2024-02-18T09:17:57.0925|ERROR|AscomTelescope.cs|CheckMountTime|802|Unexpected exception when reading mount time. Skipping clock comparison and setting of mount time.
ASCOM.DriverException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at ASCOM.Com.DriverAccess.DynamicAccess.CheckDotNetExceptions(String memberName, Exception e)
at ASCOM.Com.DriverAccess.DynamicAccess.TryGetMember(GetMemberBinder binder, Object& result)
at CallSite.Target(Closure, CallSite, Object)
FAstro

Re: First Light - ASCOM error when connect mount

Post by FAstro »

OP here - Been in contact with NINA. They say "the driver should throw a property not implemented exception when this is not available, instead of this error. but it won't affect anything
only if the mount time would be much different to the system time"

NINA continues to poll in the background looking for this, all written to log, so log I assume will grow quite large.

Also NINA says that TPPA not plate solving may have been due to this being first light and my telescope alt/az being far off where it should be. My altitude was off quite a bit, so I will try tonight with more accurate position.

Does anyone else see this issue - it happens as soon as I connect the scope to NINA.
FAstro

Re: First Light - ASCOM error when connect mount

Post by FAstro »

OP here - Wanted to wrap this up.

Still getting ASCOM error in NINA as described above. It however seems to be benign; my TPPA problem was indeed due to my search radius being too small for my initial try.

The error does create a large NINA log file however as NINA never gives up looking for the date.