UPBv2 USB power issue to Intel Compute Stick

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
josko

UPBv2 USB power issue to Intel Compute Stick

Post by josko »

Hi,

I've been a Pegasus Astro user for many years and have been using a UPBv1 paired with a Intel Compute Stick for about 6 years now. When I power the UPB it will power the stick which will boot up, and I'm on my way using RDC, It's been flawless this entire 6 years.

I've recently wanted to add a zero focus cube to this UPB, but found that they are not compatible with UPBv1, so I bought a second hand UPBv2 since these are not made anymore. The goal was to just port the compute stick over to the UPBv2, but there is a problem. When I power on this upbv2 with the stick connected to one of the USB ports, the stick will power up, and go through post, but I see that when it then goes to boot the OS from the onboard storage, there is an increase in current draw (about 1amp), at which point the OS doesn't load and the stick freezes. I have a regulated PS that is adjustable for both VT and current, and I'm monitoring current from that. my understanding of at least USB3 is that it should be able to supply at most 3amps output, but it seems like this UPB is not doing that. I've tested all 6 USB ports, all behave the same.

My question is since I have a proven compute stick/cables that work fine on a UPBv1, should they also just work as is on a UPBv2? Also, are there any provisions in altering the FW of this UPB, the unity platform SW shows the FW of the UPB, but I don't see anywhere at what level it should be, and if it's at all possible to down rev the FW so I can confirm if any updated FW has caused this problem. Or something I've been thing about but can't really believe, has something just gone bad with the UPB HW, and I'm just out of luck?