Lost home and park positions

Harmonic Geared Mount
amendolajamie

Lost home and park positions

Post by amendolajamie »

I used the mount last night trying to do some photography, but had issues with platesolving -- those were probably unrelated to the nyx. When I finished I found the mount pointing towards the ground. Today I turned on the mount and tried to send it home, and it went to some strange position. No amount of resetting the home position would make it change. Finally I switched it to altz then back to eq and was able to reset the home position. Not the best experience to be sure. I was using the unity mobile app. Hopefully there is a software update coming to fix this. It's on the latest software. Is this a known issue?

Jamie
Crossroads

Re: Lost home and park positions

Post by Crossroads »

Power on the mount and move it back to Zero (Home) position manually. Then set new Zero (Home) Position. If applicabe, set new park position to the same position.

"Careful with that VAX, Eugene!"

Crossroads
amendolajamie

Post by amendolajamie »

I did reset the home position several times, and it never worked. Switching to altz and back seemed to reset everything.
amendolajamie

Post by amendolajamie »

This happened again last night, very frustrating. I ended up taking the mount inside to debug it. The mount was pointing in a different location than it was reporting, and the home position was quite far off. Slewing to the home position and resetting it there did not work. It would continue to slew to the wrong position when sent home. Only after switching to altz mode and back was I able to reset the home position. It's clear that there is a bug somewhere in the mount firmware causing this issue.

Jamie
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

This is strange.

I once had an issue after a power breakdown. I manually slew back to home and did a reset and every thing worked fine again. Since then no issues. Did you upgrade to the latest firmware?
amendolajamie

Post by amendolajamie »

Mine is a V2 mount on firmware 1.25.2.

I've only seen this while I've had it outside. Maybe platesolving / slewing / guiding had something to do with it. I'm planning to take it out tonight, I'll try and trace it down further.
amendolajamie

Post by amendolajamie »

OK, I had the NYX out tonight, and was able to get a bunch of well guided photos. I did have a hard time getting it to point to an object without hitting limits and just stopping. It would not do a meridian flip unless I manually flipped it and aimed it close to the target. I did manage to get it set up guiding and taking photos. The guiding was pretty good and reliable. Once a meridian flip was needed, I tried to slew to the same target, and it seemed to do a flip, but ended up pointing to the ground -- way off. I hit the "Go Home" button and RA seemed to go home, but DEC seemed to go to a strange position. Photo below. For this mount to get beyond being babysat, the firmware needs to be improved! I'm hopeful that it will happen!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMGSPxWLwTqpQUkz8