Unity Platform - Linux (Wine)

Feature requests / 3rd party software development
galaxian

Unity Platform - Linux (Wine)

Post by galaxian »

Hi all!

I am working on installing Unity under Wine on Ubuntu Linux. If that doesn't mean much to you, that's okay... I think a Windows user can help me anyway.

It seems to be almost working, but I get the following error:

Code: Select all

2023-08-15 17:46:46.5233|ERROR|ConfigurationProvider|Error on read configuration value for Key=EmbeddedServer|System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unable to open configSource file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Pegasus Astro\Unity Platform\userPreferences.config'.
I confirmed that there is no file named "userPreferences.config" in the Unity Platform folder.

I tried creating an empty file with that name, and then I get the following error(s):

2023-08-15 17:50:14.7436|ERROR|ConfigurationProvider|Error on read configuration value for Key=FontSize|System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
2023-08-15 17:50:15.8680|ERROR|ConfigurationProvider|Error on read configuration value for Key=EmbeddedServer|System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
So, it seems that userPreferences.config is supposed to be an XML file that is required for the app to start. Could someone post a copy of that file from a working installation so I can make sure I create a file with the right XML format? If you're on Windows, I am guessing that it would be: C:\Program Files\Pegasus Astro\Unity Platform\userPreferences.config. Note that I also don't know what all might be stored in that file, so maybe open it and make sure any personal info is redacted before sending it.

Thanks in advance!
galaxian

Re: Unity Platform - Linux (Wine)

Post by galaxian »

Update, and a new problem!

I was able to fix the original problem I posted. I found that userPreferences.config lives in /users/<galaxian>/AppData/Roaming/PegasusAstroUnityPlatform/Production/Client/. It seems that Wine was simply not able to determine the correct path for this file based on the reference in App.config. So, I simply copied the file over to the Program Files location, and that fixed the previous errors.

Now, the app seems to be much closer to starting. In fact, it appears that the server is running in the background, but the UI is failing to initialize. Here are the errors I see now:

2023-08-15 18:28:56.3557|FATAL|BaseHttpClient|TraceID:7e705da6-c65b-4950-b76c-439c1e4a3f02, unknown.|System.Net.WebException: Error: ConnectFailure (Connection refused.) ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection refused.
And:

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: Autofac.Core.DependencyResolutionException: An exception was thrown while activating Peg.UI.View.Main -> Peg.UI.Core.AlertNotificationService. ---> Autofac.Core.DependencyResolutionException: An exception was thrown while invoking the constructor 'Void .ctor()' on type 'AlertNotificationService'. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'DevExpress.Utils.Helpers.ImageGuard' threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
The first error is clearly a socket issue with the server, and I suspect that one is solvable. The second error seems like it could be a legitimate bug. Any Pegasus Astro developers here and willing to take a look? And/or should I submit a support ticket?
amendolajamie

Re: Unity Platform - Linux (Wine)

Post by amendolajamie »

Thanks for doing this! How did you get dotnet installed in wine? Mine fails.