Cloud sensor is awful

SparkyHT

Cloud sensor is awful

Post by SparkyHT »

Past 2 nights were clear and the sensor reported 100% clouds, regardless of moving the calibration slider. Both nights were warm, easily mid 70's (F). All other readings (SQM, temp, humidity) appear normal. The Meteo was away from the scope and pointed straight up. Latest Unity software and firmware. I haven't imaged for months, but last time I did, it was much cooler weather and the cloud readings were correct. Anyone else having issues with the clouds sensor? Pegasus Astro.... what say you?

Edit - Ambient temp read 75F, sky temp reading was 53F, despite it being clear, the Meteo reported 100% overcast.
bflachsbart

Re: Cloud sensor is awful

Post by bflachsbart »

Hi,

I made the same experience last weekend.
Conditions were very warm (about 23°C at night) and the sky temperature reading was about -3° C.
Unity Software claimed that my sky was cloudy but it was a clear night though.
When imaging on cold nights say in winter or spring I never had this problem and the cloud readings were more reliable.

best regards
Bernd
SparkyHT

Post by SparkyHT »

From what I've gathered upon reading other posts is that support is pretty much nil. What a shame. I have nothing but raving things to say about the Ultimate Pocket Powerbox, but I feel the Uranus was rushed and we're all beta users left in the wind. Frustrating to say the least.
Liquidastro

Post by Liquidastro »

Same here, I purchased this from a vendor at a star party and the cloud sensor is essentially worthless. I've tried everything. Latest firmware doesn't do it either. If I try to tune it, having it on zero says clear skies. I set it just to -1 and it instantly changes to overcast. it's either or. Support is completely non-existent. This will kill PA in the end. Support makes or breaks these companies and there is none from PA. Had a focus motor a while back and it broke, racked everything in all the way and would never come back out. After a month someone finally emailed back, all they wanted was a video of it happening. I had replaced it long before. After I replied, never another word from PA. Shame, the products are reasonable but if there is no support, forget it. The UPB works fine but this thing is terrible and the price is steep. Bad move PA.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Set value close to 20 and the sensor is going to work fine