Problems creating a local network for managing the mount

Harmonic Geared Mount
skybadger

Problems creating a local network for managing the mount

Post by skybadger »

Hi all
I m trying to use a mini Windows 11 pc to manage this mount and all its attachments like filter wheel, focuser etc.
I tried using the mount as a hot spot, attaching the pc to the hotspot and that is successful. However the network collapses if I try to remote desktop to the pc over this network. ( ie another laptop to the hotspot to the target pc ) . That's probably not surprising because its a lot of continuous traffic to throw at an ESP32
So I turned it around and enabled the hot spot on the mini pc and configured the mount to use the wifi connection of the hotspot.
That also works well, but only when windows can find a local internet connection to use as its main connection, which then enables the use of the hotspot to share that network. (it still has to be turned on by script on startup). When windows is challenged to find a network to access and then share, the hotspot is a bit hit and miss.
When there is no network, the hotspot approach doesn't work.
Has anyone got a route to getting the pc to be the centre of the mobile network, managing all its components including the mount ?
Is the only answer to introduce a Myfi ?
Note that the command 'netsh wlan show drivers ' shows that my pc hardware doesn't support hosted networks, which is what might otherwise do the job - like a hotspot but without the need for a real internet connection to share.
Also that I use this script to turn on the hotspot at startup: https://gist.github.com/primaryobjects/ ... otspot-cmd

thanks in advance for any ideas .
Mike
Jockey

Re: Problems creating a local network for managing the mount

Post by Jockey »

Thanks for your post. It has saved me a lot of messing about.

I was planning a similar approach to your original one.
i.e. Mount side Surface Go as the local controller on NINA with remote access from Dell Laptop in the warm, all using the Nyx 101 as the WiFi Access Point.
In my case I have the Nyx 101 connected to the Surface Go by USB (which works fine).

I will see if the Surface Go or the Dell Laptop can provide an WiFi AP for the other. [edit - doesn't look easy and precious imaging time on the rare clear nights is a bad time to troubleshoot IT issues.]

Cheers
Tim
skybadger

Post by skybadger »

Comparing this post with the Facebook content, it looks like most go for a pocket WiFi router to provide a dummy or real internet connection that all devices could connect into.
The best recommendation seemed to be to set the pocket router up the same as your home WiFi and the the devices will work the same at home or away.
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

Great. Thanks a lot. I will look into that.
Cheers
Tim
skybadger

Post by skybadger »

Ive finally got to the end of this - I think.
so I note that the wifi troubleshooting guide now also has a link to the connectify app that will create a wireless hotspot for you in Win11 even if there is no network connected.
So i downloaded and installed it. Seems like there is still a timeout after 30 minutes on the free version whereby the hotspot is turned off.
So I bought the darn thing on a perpetual license during one of its many sales for $27 and all seems steady now.
That means I can remove the wirelesss router device and it power consumption from my kit and i have a reliable connection.
Since i bought a license riple pack it also means i can do the same for my other scopes.
Hoorah !