ASIAIR Plus works with NYX-101 but...

Harmonic Geared Mount
rloftin

ASIAIR Plus works with NYX-101 but...

Post by rloftin »

ASIAIR Plus working with NYX-101 but...

These steps worked for me after spending days pushing buttons and keys, ouch. I use Android so expect iOS to be different but similar.
- Uninstall ASIAIR app, if you have 2.0 or greater, if not skip upgrade and keep version 1.91 (the easy way), otherwise...
- Search the internet for the version 1.91 APK and download it, there are multiple sources
- Go through the hoops of installing the 1.91 APK, again reference the internet for how to do this. It requires you to allow special permissions to install.
- Open ASIAIR app, do not upgrade to 2. anything (skip), and select your equipment. In Mounts select 'Meade LX200 Classic'. Complete initial setup.
- Tap About, the "!" icon and choose Reset Firmware, Reset to 8.33, this is quick.
- restart ASIAIR app and download data, no choice. This took several app restarts and one clear cache but eventually completed, then it unpacks. Wait for it.
- restart ASIAIR app. It will force an upgrade to firmware version 9.97, do it, this is also quick.
- restart ASIAIR app and download data, no choice. This also took several app restarts and one clear cache but eventually completed, then it unpacks. Wait for it.
- restart ASIAIR app DO NOT upgrade to 2.anything, SKIP if suggested.
- Verify in main settings pop-out your equipment is correct
- Now the fun part, with your NYX-101 turned on and both USB 2 ports connected, hopefully on the telescope icon (mount) page 'Serial' will have 'Connected' displayed,
- If not unplug the USB cable and try again. It took several tries for me but eventually 'Connected' was displayed. Nothing can happen if it is not 'Connected.
- Meade LX200 Classic should already be entered, if not scroll to and select it AND now set Baud to 115200. It didn't work at any other rate for me.
- Now I believe you can use your ASIAIR as expected. It works in my living room, hope it keeps working and with the Lantern Festival (Feb 6) over, ZWO may address this formally. They just released 2.1 yesterday but no mention of NYX-101 issues fixed, Do not know anything about 2.1... maybe. Not going there yet.

It does work. Nowhere as easy as setting my CEM60 is. Looking at the mounts listed it appears 'Z' is not the first letter of the alphabet, but I am sure that is a silly standard to observe. :roll:
Hope this gets worked out, I like both products.
Siopta

Re: ASIAIR Plus works with NYX-101 but...

Post by Siopta »

As I had V1.9 on my ASIair I had high hopes for this mount but it just will not do a flip.
I have tried changing the meridian +/- seting in the hope of allowing the air to take control of flipping but it just refuses to do one.
Any ideas how to get it to flip? Is yours working ok at the flip?
rloftin

Post by rloftin »

I have not tried a meridian flip. I am not surprised it would not work. The implementation of the LX200 is not fully compliant with the NYX-101, so some things don't work. Mostly I got it to connect and it will GOTO at an appropriate rate. Manually, 4, whatever that means, is slow or not moving at all.
I was happy to get it to track and GOTO. That is certainly not enough. As I understand it, Pegasus is working on a complete driver to offer ZWO and others. The is scheduled to be release soon, at least a couple of weeks form now. Then we get to wait for ZWO to update the ASIAIR. Hopefully we won't have to wait until next Chinese New Year, which really an honored celebration and a big deal. My communications with ZWO have been helpful and considerate.
Meridian flip is a big deal for me as I use it all the time. Hope all things work soon as I find the ASIAIR quite useful.
I hope this post makes it as I have also had support working on my account which crashed and locked me out Oh well.
Clear skies!!!
rloftin

Post by rloftin »

Quick update. There is movement on a fully functional compatible driver between Pegasus and ASIAIR. It is still a few weeks out and will need work from both companies. So I imagine once drivers are completed that should initiate a beta period and some furious exchanges between coders to workout any bugs. All this will take some time but it is moving forward as far as I know. Looking forward to it! :!:
Starlancer

Post by Starlancer »

I hope that is true because yes I use a mini pc but sometimes it just easier to toss on the ASIair and go especially with all the improvements lately to the software. Using the LX200 driver seems to work but it's just kind of shoehorning it in.
sebastien85

Post by sebastien85 »

No news about this driver ?
rloftin

Post by rloftin »

It seems the waiting is almost over.

In the next week or so, likely before May, Pegasus plans to release the new dedicated NYX-101 indilib driver. It will be distributed, significantly to ZWO and all for inclusion in software. My hope is this will open up just one more way to use the NYX-101.

Since this time I have looked into several alternative systems. I sincerely appreciate the Stellarmate, ASIAIR, etc. approach, which for many has expanded the ease and use of all of the great astronomical equipment we have collected. I find much of the available options are often complex multi-part build your own or proprietary systems, often designed by very smart people for other very smart people. I am not sure I am that smart, but I am learning. Mostly I appreciate being able to NOT hover over my equipment all night long. I do enjoy the night sky and have definitely lost some sleep but made up for it in satisfaction and wonder.

A tremendous amount of work has gone into making astronomy and astrophotography work for almost anyone. It is daunting at first light. Cost and complexity are some issues, although used gear may make it less so. Still learning everything needed to simply take a picture of the night sky, even with your phone, takes some persistence, luck, and practice. The community of people looking up is encouraging and often helpful.

Thanks to Pegasus for their continued work and progress and the community for making this possible. I am always amazed every time I look up. :o