New Firmware Warning

Eyeheartmono

New Firmware Warning

Post by Eyeheartmono »

Just a warning to everyone with the new firmware, I tried to update mine and it failed during the process and Im pretty sure the sensor is bricked now sensor does not turn on and the computer can't see it anymore. May just be me but be careful updating the firmware. I have a ticket into support.
Evans
Site Admin

Re: New Firmware Warning

Post by Evans »

The firmware update works fine.
However, we have seen that installing KMS crack in windows causes problems with updates.
Eyeheartmono

Post by Eyeheartmono »

Thank you, received your fix to reflash the unit. Worked perfectly.
S70IP

Post by S70IP »

Mine did the same thing. can't start it up.
I've sent an email to support. Glad there is a flash to fix it. Hopefully get a reply soon.
wjdrijfhout

Post by wjdrijfhout »

Bummer, I should have read this first. My Uranus is bricked as well....:-(
I've reached out to support. So what is the fix, will they send something?
tdaiber

Post by tdaiber »

Evans wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:12 am The firmware update works fine.
However, we have seen that installing KMS crack in windows causes problems with updates.
Hi there,

sorry for being maybe stupid, but what does that mean? What is KMS crack and how do I know whether I am affected?

Thank you.
Clear skies
Torsten
wjdrijfhout

Post by wjdrijfhout »

I believe KMS stands for Key Management Services, the system that deals with product keys and software activations. But whether this comment relates to Windows or Unity is not clear to me. I am a Mac user and try to stay away from Windows as much as I can. But for the rare situations like this, I use Parallels Desktop which installs a default Windows version.

Anyway, the fix from Pegasus worked like a charm. Plug in the Uranus, press the reset button and run the .bat file that they sent. Firmware installed in seconds, and Uranus back up again. I believe this option should be offered by default, instead of working through a proprietary software platform like Unity.

This is not only a comment to Pegasus, but in general I really don't understand why hardware companies spend so much time and money on developing their own software platforms. Software development is something completely different than hardware development. At best this 'hardware software' is just an unimpressive product, but more often it's a bag of bugs, problems and limitations. Just make sure that you have well functioning drivers (ASCOM, INDI) that can be used with general software suites (NINA, SGP, Ekos, Voyager, etc). The INDI driver for example for the Uranus is still an unusable product....
tdaiber

Post by tdaiber »

Obviously I had no KMS whatever installed on my PC :D Update worked easy.
But I panicked a little bit yesterday since the Uranus for whatever reason had run out of battery despite only being with me for just a month or so. Neither charging nor connecting to a PC worked with a USB C to C cable and PD charger. I got it charged with a A to C cable back at home, so all is fine. But even when charged no PC connection with a C to C cable :shock: Although now it works with a combined USB-C to USB A and C hub while plugged into a C port of the hub :?
I know, this is a USB 2 device, but others still do work with direct connection to the USB C port of my PC.

Cheers
Torsten
Looking6Up

Post by Looking6Up »

Yes ... unfortunately that just happened to me. The computer threw an "Unhandled Exception" error and aborted the firmware installation in progress. The Metro is now apparently bricked and won't even turn on. Tried the reset button, but no joy.