Need some guidance

Harmonic Geared Mount
TheCaptain

Need some guidance

Post by TheCaptain »

Hi,

I purchased my NYX-101 from High Point Scientific. It is replacing my Celestron AVX mount. With the mount being so "new", the folks at HPS have no hands on experience. I have yet to power it up but have the required software needed loaded onto my Laptop (Windows 10), and I have the Unity app on my Galaxy Tablet and Cell Phone. As a first step, I just want to do what I will call a "function" test - to ensure that the mount can communicate with the wifi devices and the laptop (via USB). HPS offers free return shipping within the first 30 days after receipt of the mount (should there be some kind of obvious malfunction). I am reaching out to the forum members for guidance as to what steps I can take to "check out the mount, to be sure it works at a rudimentary level". Like a car, spark and gas are the 2 things important. So akin to this, I just want to do a very basic check! Due to other things going on, the mount was put on the back burner until yesterday (and my 30 day window expires after tomorrow - but I got an extension of time after I explained my situation to HPS today).

Can anyone suggest what steps I should take to do this basic check? I plan to simply put the mount on my bench for this initial function test (the telescope will not be attached).

I am a bit overwhelmed with the mount since I still consider myself to be a newbie to the hobby. I am open to all suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kathie
Jockey

Re: Need some guidance

Post by Jockey »

I suggest you connect the mount power and USB to a PC, then turn on.
Launch Unity on the PC and select the mount at startup.
Check things make sense roughly.
Click the Home button. The mount should lift the brake, whine a little and may move (if not at Home already).
Then increase the slew speed to x64 and press the arrow keys and see the mount moves.
(The brake must be lifted for the mount to move)
Get a good bit away from Home, then press the Home button and you should get a good, smooth set of movements.

Cheers
Tim
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

I thank you so very much!!!!!!!! This is exactly the directions I need!

I will let you know how things go.... I have had a lot of stuff going on here, so it may be a few days .... but definitely I will post.

Thanks again for your pearls of wisdom!!!

Sincerely,

Kathie
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Hi Tim,

I have read portions of the manual regarding the brake.

With the steps you have outlined for me (thanks again!!), can you kindly clarify about the electronic brake? I do understand about its function, and per the manual, the mount has to be in tracking mode to unlock the brake. I read the below information from the manual, and am hoping you can kindly make them apart of the steps that I need to follow per your pearls of wisdom.... THANK YOU AGAIN !!!!! I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP and TIME!!!!! ~ Kathie

<< Tick the “Set Telescope Time & Location”. This is important as the mount needs time and location in order to calculate limits and unlock its brake. >>
<< Moreover, mount should be operational (not brake locked) which means that it should be in any tracking mode>>.
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

OK, no problem.

On your first comment:
<< Tick the “Set Telescope Time & Location”. This is important as the mount needs time and location in order to calculate limits and unlock its brake. >>
I don't know where this tick box is. I don't see it in the Pegasus Unity on PC screens. I only use the PC version as my mobile phone is too old for the Android App. In any case, I find the PC big screen easier to use in initial setup and testing.

However, I find that the PC's Time & Date is pushed to the Mount as soon as I open Unity. I haven't had to do anything in particular.
I see there is a switch on the Mobile App to push the Date & Time. I would do that always, so just set the switch that way. The system clock on any PC or Mobile is usually more accurate than an isolated clock in a device.

On your second comment:
<< Moreover, mount should be operational (not brake locked) which means that it should be in any tracking mode>>.
This is true, but there is no specific function or button to 'Unlock the Brake'. It gets unlocked automatically when you try to slew the mount. So clicking 'Home' causes the mount to try and move, so it lifts the Brake automatically. Also if you click on a rate, like 'Sidereal' then in the Mount Information Box at the top, Tracking box changes to 'Sidereal' and the box below, Status, changes to 'Tracking', showing that - the Brake IS lifted. The operation of the Brake is just in the background, you don't have to do anything yourself.

Updated list of steps.
I suggest you connect the mount power and USB to a PC, then turn on.
Launch Unity on the PC and select the mount at startup.
Check things make sense roughly.
See the image below - This is what mine looks like at this point:

Click the Home button. The mount should lift the brake, whine a little and may move (if not at Home already).
Then increase the slew speed to x64 and press the arrow keys and see the mount moves.
(The brake must be lifted for the mount to move, and it is, OK)
Get a good bit away from Home, then press the Home button and you should get a good, smooth set of movements.

Hope that helps.
cheers
Tim
Attachments
Nyx 101 Unity Move Mount Screenshot.png
Nyx 101 Unity Move Mount Screenshot.png (40.27 KiB) Viewed 2704 times
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Oh wonderful Tim !!!!!!!

I do appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me, especially with the screenshots!!!!!!!!

I will let you know how I do with the function test. I can't thank you enough for giving me steps to follow since I didn't have a clue as to what to do!!!!!!!!

Thanks bunches!!!!

~ Kathie
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Hi Tim,

All the while, I had in the back of my mind as I gathered your pearls of wisdom, how will I hook up power to the mount from my Celestron Lithium Pro Power Tank. I have to chuckle because they supply the hookup for house current. So I need a cable with the GX12 connector on one end and the small connector to plug into my power tank. I called High Point Scientific a few moments ago to obtain a power cable so that I can operate my mount outside of my house without running a long extension cord!!!! I have an appointment to go to in a few moments, so I have put my function test on hold. I had a life and death situation with one of my cats unfold on Wednesday, and I put my function test on the back burner! My appointment is to take my cat home.

I have everything all set and plan to test upon return home. In the meanwhile, the technician from HPS will figure out what needs to be done so I can hook up to the power tank. They may not have the required cable. So... another question.... what do you use to hook up to a power tank? Thanks.

~ Kathie
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

Hi,

<< So I need a cable with the GX12 connector on one end and the small connector to plug into my power tank>>

Heve a look at this thread on Cloudy Nights where this cable is identified.
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8184 ... nt/page-36
Post 884 by Andy Lucy.

Looks like your Celestron Lithium Pro Power Tank has a cigarette lighter socket, so the cable should work OK. As many of the Sky Watcher mounts use GX12, then the cable should be easy to find.

I made my own big battery pack to use with my last mount, so use different connectors.

Good luck with your cat.

Cheers
Tim
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Thank you Tim!

Blackie is now home! And the tech called me back and left a voice mail while I was at the pet hospital. They do have the cable in stock! So I will place an order for it. When I spoke to the tech initially, he suggested a cable that uses the 2.1mm connector (for which the mate is on the opposite of the cigarette plug receptacle) as opposed to using a cable using a cigarette lighter socket. At that time, he told me that he would have to research (he did not know if they had the cable or not). We left the conversation that he would call me back. And as mentioned above, he found the item.

https://www.highpointscientific.com/peg ... pb-cbl-eq6

Thank you for the link to Cloudy Nights in regard to the cable. I am a member of that forum too. And I just looked at the post. A friend found the required connectors on Amazon (for me to make my own) which is/was another solution!

I will now try to power this thing up and I will let you know how I fare!

Thanks bunches!!!!!!!!!!

~ K
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Hi Tim,

I followed your instructions and put into "sidereal" in order to get "tracking"..... she moves!!!! THANK YOU !!!!

What I did not do for the function test (it took me awhile to realize my "error"), is set up the mount facing toward the north. I was wondering why it wasn't moving in the right direction!!!! My "focus" as you know was to see if it worked! I had a good laugh over this!

I can't thank you enough!!!!

Thank you ... oh thank you great GURU !

~ Kathie
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

You are very welcome.
All good news.

Cheers
Tim
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Hi Tim,

As of 2/24/23, my ASIAIR Plus couldn't connect to the Pegasus mount. It was the first time I tried using the ASIAIR and it did a firmware update at the get-go. My mentor wrote to Pegasus regarding compatibility. He knew that a previous version of the AISAIR's firmware did work with the Pegasus. Pegasus wrote back the next day, confirming that it did work previously but now ZWO has blocked it. So, I decided that I would go to plan B, and use the PoleMaster. But after reading the manual, I decided that this was not a viable option for me because of having to remove M3 screws and then use the PoleMaster's screws to attach (then reverse the process if I wanted to put the mount into its carrying case). An enterprising person had a quick release adapter machined! The pictures are at: https://www.cloudynights.com/gallery/im ... r-nyx-101/

I also read in another forum about the blocking of the ASIAIR. https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.co ... a-firmware

A post from Feb 10th indicates that the problem was fixed. However, my ASIAIR got updated on 2/24 with the then current firmware, and it did not connect. And as of 2/25, Pegasus (as mentioned above) confirmed that ZWO has a block.

It appears that at some point in the near future, ZWO is going to fix the issue. I decided this was too much drama. Yes, there are other ways to control the mount but one of the main reasons why I bought it was because it was advertised to be compatible with the ASIAIR. I got return authorizations for both the tripod and the mount yesterday afternoon. I packed up the stuff and took it to the UPS terminal that is 2 miles from my house a couple of hours later. I will get a full refund!

I am not sure what I will buy as a replacement. I like my Celestron Omni CG-4 German Equatorial Mount, so I can still use my telescope ( EvoStar PRO 80ED APO Refractor). I recently parted company with my Celestron AVX mount because of my purchase of the Pegasus. I desire very much to do astrophotography! My short time with the Pegasus caused a lot of frustration. Until I find a replacement tracking mount, I will "relax" and use my Vaonis Vespera.

In closing, I once again want to thank you for the tremendous help that you gave to me.

And as you and others say:

Cheers!

~ Kathie
Jockey

Post by Jockey »

Hi Kathie,

Thanks for the update. You are very welcome.

I did read all about the ZWO blocking Pegasus issue on CN. I don't use my ASI Air anymore as I had to buy ZWO cameras to continue with it. So this problem didn't affect me.
For control, I tried my StellarMate on a Raspberry Pi 4 but got tangled up in its software issues (all the Pegasus stuff was fine). I tried out NINA just to understand the situation and I really like it. NINA has worked very well with my Nyx 101 / Unity, Nikon Z6ii and ZWO ASI 120MM Mini guide camera. NINA is very comprehensive. There are great videos.
I do my polar alignment with NINA 3 star plugin and it is very easy and quick. It uses the main imaging camera, so nothing extra to buy or mount, or software to integrate.

I do hope you get on well with a new mount in the future.

Cheers
Tim
astrogeorge

Post by astrogeorge »

Unfortunate that you returned the mount. The v2.1 update for the ASIAIR has a fix and others have successfully connected their AAP’s to the NYX101. It is not without its own issues (esp for Celestron AVX owners) but the initial NYX101 issue appears resolved. Details can be found in this forum and the ZWO ASIAIR forum. As reported in another thread in this forum, there is work underway on a proper nyx101 driver for the ASIAIR. Hope it gets here soon.
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Thanks Tim,

I returned the mount because I took the opportunity to return it (and the tripod) with full 100% reimbursement because of the "30 day return period" was extended by a few days for me. Because I had a few stumbling blocks, especially with the update to ASIAIR Plus done 2/24 not allowing communication, I was completely frustrated - especially when the backup plan to use my polar scope entails screwing it into the mount. Also, it was a big chunk of money to not have things work as advertised. However, I may entertain buying the Pegasus mount down the road. I firmly believe that Pegasus fell short with not proving a power cable to allow for battery operation and a "quick release" adapter for mounting the PoleMaster. Now that I am aware of the NINA 3 star plugin working with the main camera, this would resolve my issue of doing Polar Aligning without having to mount the PoleMaster.

Thank you again Tim for all of your help!

"Cheers" (as you say)....

~ Kathie
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

astrogeorge wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:03 am Unfortunate that you returned the mount. The v2.1 update for the ASIAIR has a fix and others have successfully connected their AAP’s to the NYX101. It is not without its own issues (esp for Celestron AVX owners) but the initial NYX101 issue appears resolved. Details can be found in this forum and the ZWO ASIAIR forum. As reported in another thread in this forum, there is work underway on a proper nyx101 driver for the ASIAIR. Hope it gets here soon.
Thank you for the information! Per my previous reply to Tim, I took advantage of returning the mount and tripod for a full reimbursement because of the issues I have previously noted. However, I am not opposed to "re-buying" the mount once everything gets resolved. Per Pegasus, as of last week, ZWO still had a block. Of course, perhaps Pegasus was unaware of a recent firmware update (I just don't know). If I was talking about a $40 accessory that did not work, that would be one thing - but an almost $3000 item, that is another thing. I truly like the design of the Pegasus mount. And I truly like the idea of getting back all of money for something that "did not work" for me.

Ideally, I would like to "re-buy" the mount after Pegasus confirms that all is good with ZWO. I can wait until the dust settles and communications/compatibility issues are resolved.

Take care, and again, thank you!

~ Kathie