[SOLVED] UPBv2 - USB3 Moravian C2-2600 not recognized

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
rodolgo

[SOLVED] UPBv2 - USB3 Moravian C2-2600 not recognized

Post by rodolgo »

Hello
I can’t seem to have the mentioned camera recognized by Windows when connecting it to the UPB through any of the USB 3 ports.
When connected directly to the PC, it works as expected.
I checked all I could, used different and short (0.8 m) USB3 certified cables even those sold by Pegasus Astro, to no avail.
Power supply is also a good quality device.
I did check the USB 2 ports successfully, although not trying to connect the camera itself through USB2 (which makes no sense in my case).
I’m out of solutions now.

Is it a known issue?
Thanks
Last edited by rodolgo on Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodolgo

Re: UPBv2 - USB3 Moravian C2-2600 not recognized

Post by rodolgo »

Hello
I continued experimenting to narrow down what could be going wrong.

The USB 2 ports seem to work as expected: all I could connect there was properly recognized by the imaging PC through the UPB:
* USB3.1 key
* USB3 CMOS camera
* USB2 guider camera
But, of course, all operating at USB2 speed

The USB3 ports seem to work when connecting an USB2 device, e.g. the guider camara is properly recognized by the imaging PC when connected to one of the USB3 ports.
However, any USB3 device I plugged into one of the USB3 ports failed to be recognized.

Could it be the USB3 cable between the UPB and the imaging PC? I use a short, high-quality, double-shielded USB3 cable...

I'm puzzled!
rodolgo

Re: UPBv2 - USB3 Moravian C2-2600 not recognized

Post by rodolgo »

I've replaced the cable running from the UPB to the imaging PC, using the one provided by Pegasus, to no avail.
One thing I found curious: the FTDI driver is registered as an USB 2 device, not USB 3, see screenshot below - could it be the source of the problem?

usbDview.jpg
usbDview.jpg (299.02 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
rodolgo

Re: [SOLVED] UPBv2 - USB3 Moravian C2-2600 not recognized

Post by rodolgo »

Responding to myself; it could be useful to others as well.
I eventually found that, with my setup, the ALWAYS ON power supply socket seemed not to deliver enough power to the NUC connected to it, not enough to load the USB3 drivers.
I then connected the NUC to one of the switchable power outputs - and it solved the issue altogether.
No fiddling with USB cables needed.
HTH
Rodolphe
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

This is interesting.
The spec for the UPBv2 state that each of the 4 ports can deliver up to 7A.
The spec also state that the always on port can deliver up to 8A ... so this should be plenty for the NUC as , based on the spec, the always on port should be able to deliver one extra amp in comparison to the switchable power port.

Regards,
Rodolphe (another one ;) ).
rodolgo

Post by rodolgo »

Hello again
I had an interesting conversation with Pegasus.
The always on port delivers more amps than the switchable ones.
In my case it didn’t work as expected.
I changed the Power Supply (PS) ito another one delivering more than 20A, it’s a radio HAM model. It’s indeed overkill for the job at hand.
Eventually, this solution worked perfectly, ie connecting the NUC to the always on port; the NUC could recognize the camera correctly, recycling the USB3 port of the camera also worked as expected.
My conclusion is thierefore: don’t go cheap with the PS!
HTH.
Regards
Rodolphe
AdonisBradley

Post by AdonisBradley »

Could it be the USB3 cable between the UPB and the imaging PC? I use a short, high-quality, double-shielded USB3 cable

cappello in spagnolo