Port 2 & 3 won't operate shutter on zwo cameras

KevinW

Port 2 & 3 won't operate shutter on zwo cameras

Post by KevinW »

PPA--Love the unit, but port 2 and 3 won't operate the ZWO 224mc, 2600mc or 1600mmpro shutter. The cameras connect, display temp and operate the EFW but a shutter incident of any kind causes the software to freeze (Sharpcap, Nebulosity) They work perfectly when plugged directly into the computer. Port 3 and 4 run USB2 devices flawlessly....mount, polemaster, ssag and focuser. The power to the cameras and dew-heaters works great. I don't use port 1 yet and the mount always uses port 4. The plan was to use port 2 for the imaging camera and port 3 for guiding (ssag or 224)
It's a deal breaker if an update can't correct this issue. I really really really wanna love and use this unit...it's a perfect solution to only run 1 power cable and 1 data cable to the mount and will make it easy to run a DC power supply.
KevinW

Re: Port 2 & 3 won't operate shutter on zwo cameras

Post by KevinW »

Problem solved!!
The PPB advance USB3 output does not supply enough power to extend the cable length to the computer by even 2m. Either use just the 1.8m cable supplied OR use an active extender cable. My 5m active cable worked fine.
Now I can enjoy this great piece of gear, and if the clouds clear today or tomorrow I might even get to see the conjunction!!
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Hi,
It does not have to do with voltage. The PPBADV provides the voltage that USB protocol requires.
Probably it has to do with the quality of the cable.

USB 3.0/3.1 specification does not specify a maximum cable length between USB 3.0/3.1 devices (SuperSpeed or SuperSpeed+), but there is a
recommended length of 3 meters (or about 9 feet and 10 inches). However, the biggest limitation to the length of the cable is the quality of the cable.
Results may vary, but with a high quality cable you should be able to go beyond 3 meters. However, to ensure you achieve the best results possible, use an active cable when going more than 10 feet (3 meters).
KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Great info! The 2m extension cable I tried was the same one that extended a regular USB3 powered hub beyond the 1.8m cable provided with it...I assumed it would work with the PPB also. Not a big deal as the 1.8m cable is long enough most times and the 5m active extension cable gives me all I would ever need.
Thanks for the response and a great device!!