Locking ring doesn't fit when combined with Falcon Rotator

Scops Motorised Off Axis Guider
xadn1

Locking ring doesn't fit when combined with Falcon Rotator

Post by xadn1 »

The OAG locking ring sticks out (outer diameter of ring is several mm too large) and doesn't fit when I combine the Scops OAG and Falcon Rotator using the M4 bolts. Unfortunately, the guide camera is really wobbly without that ring.

How am I supposed to attach the guide camera when using the OAG + Rotator combo?
bsteeve

Re: Locking ring doesn't fit when combined with Falcon Rotator

Post by bsteeve »

Hey mate... they must not have many folks working here... most forum post get flat out ignored... a bit of a shame really... they make good stuff. To answer your question, I also had this issue, the only way I could solve this was by using PTFE thread seal tape around the thread, screw the camera in, no wobble now... Thing is for me the thread of the OAG on the telescope side does not thread properly onto my m54 0.75 connection of my Askar 107phq.. thread onto the falcon fine though.. matter of fact no m54 adapter with with a 0.75 that I have works beside the m54 male to m54 male from pegasus, and only one side actually... so I can't even use it the Scops OAG in from the falcon I have.
mhnudi

Post by mhnudi »

Just posting here in case anyone from Pegasus actually reads or responds to these forum posts, but I had the same issue with the falcon rotator/Scops OAG combo. I had to remove the locking ring and use thread tape like the previous commenter mentioned.
Thelighthunter

Post by Thelighthunter »

Apparently Pegasus has a spacer for 3D printing. Can Pegasus make this file (.stl format) available on their website? Thanks.
NightStorm

Post by NightStorm »

Searching for this (having just bought the Falcon Rotator and the Scops OAG and encountering this issue) I landed here. My solution was to add a spacer beneath the ring that mounts to the Rotator that I made out of a sheet of gasket rubber similar to https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Silicone ... B096MYWM4X that I had lying around. This adds about 1.4mm of backfocus, but who's counting. This provides just enough space to add the small camera tightener nut provided in the kit. I also put some Teflon tape on the threads just 'cause it is so loosely coupled.

Pictures below.
Cutting spacer from gasket sheet
Cutting spacer from gasket sheet
CuttingGasketSpacer.jpg (291.89 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
Attaching gasket to Falcon Rotator
Attaching gasket to Falcon Rotator
PA_Falcon-WithGasketSpacer.jpg (403.41 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
Closeup of final result
Closeup of final result
PA_Scopes-Closeup.jpg (249.43 KiB) Viewed 4937 times