Question about the upcoming Uranus Meteo Sensor

SiriusDoggy

Question about the upcoming Uranus Meteo Sensor

Post by SiriusDoggy »

I have the PAUPBv2 right now which came with a small temp sensor. Will this new device take the place of that sensor and plug into the same port on the Powerbox?

Very Exciting! Would love to beta test this for you guys if that's an option.
Evans
Site Admin

Re: Question about the upcoming Uranus Meteo Sensor

Post by Evans »

Yes, exactly.
The Uranus Meteo Sensor can be mobile / USB standalone or via EXT port of UPBv2.
It is under heavy firmware development so we are estimating that the product will be out in mid February/21.
Regards,
Evans
Ruediger

Post by Ruediger »

Hi Evans, Hi Angelos,

a good idea would also be to support ASCOM safety monitor related to cloud coverage.
In long term to complete it a rain and wind sensor could be also very nice. Currently you need an additional solution like Lunatico Cloud Watcher. This could be incorporated very nicely.

With the EXT port I see a small problem: You have to fix the unit in proper direction towards the sky to measure SQ and clouds properly. The UPB is usually fixed on the mount and moves. IMHO it makes only little sense to attach the sensor box on top of the mount. Therefore you have an additional cable coming down the mount. Standalone makes more sense to me at the moment with the given information.

CS
Ruediger
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

This product was designed mainly as a mobile appliance. Its purpose is not an outdoor meteo station unit.
If it is not used as a mobile device It is highly advised to be placed piggyback to the telescope via USB or EXT (RJ12 cable).
Yes, it requires a cable but this is the only way right now to plug it with the UPBv2.
There are lots of ideas, such as WiFi or 433 MHz transmission of data but for future products or revisions.

By the way the Uranus is going to have a GPS and a memory bank able to store up to 1000 positions.
Ruediger

Post by Ruediger »

Hi Evans,

Nice features, but not required at all. I need it as stationary add-on as safe guard for the rig. I think, if you are mobile AP you do not need any cloud watcher - you simple lift your head and look up. :D
The cloud coverage sensor should interrupt the imaging sequence and continues when clouds moved on and it cleared fully automated and unattended.

It is pity, I thought it would be a great value add on for the UPB but as planned it is not suitable for stationary observers.Thanks for the quick reply. I have to proceed with Lunatico.

CS
Rüdiger
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Not exactly. Device can sense the light cloud coverage which cannot be seen by eye. Only after examining fits when you can find large halos (due to bad transparency) in the stars. So even for mobile usage it has its purpose.
Although the greatest feature is to log all sensor data during mobile usage.
The device works perfectly fine on a stationary observatory but not outdoors. It is not waterproof. Most people will use it piggiback where they can easily examine the sky quality where their telescopes points and alert them if there are clouds via ASCOM monitor.
Ruediger

Post by Ruediger »

This is a kind of usage I'd never would do - and to be frank - I do not know a single AP who does it like you have descried. No one is measuring in the direction of the scope. We all have fixed SQMs which measure the entire sky. I also have serious doubts it makes sense to measure in pointing direction as piggy back.

The watchdog functionality makes only sense in remote and/or unattended setup. If I am next to my scope during imaging session, I definitely do not need any of these devices, since I have a live view of my acquired data and can look up to the sky. A mobile SQM is only needed once to identify a dark observing spot or to compare different spots.

Data logging is useful for a permanent SQM do store the data of 365 nights a year and read it out once a while and during imaging session it is delivering life data for the fits header. We have such devices currently in use.

Do be honest, the use case you describe I have never seen. But maybe there are some who do that and need it. For me personally it makes no sense and I cannot imaging of any reason to handle it in the described way.

But thank you very much for explaining your idea to me. This was very interesting.
SiriusDoggy

Post by SiriusDoggy »

I for one would and will use it in a mobile setup. I live under Bortle 8-9 skies so I'm always traveling with my gear. But I set up long sequences that do everything all night so many times I'm in my vehicle or tent sound asleep. It would be great to have the system pause imaging when the occasional cloud rolls through just like I experienced last night. I'm sitting in my SUV watching movies on the tablet and didn't realize I was shooting clouds for 30 minutes.
Everybody's use case will be different. If it doesn't work for you, move on.