EQdir USB Stick on a Mac

Pegasus EQDIR
Brainebula

EQdir USB Stick on a Mac

Post by Brainebula »

I've been told by several sources that I can use the PegasusAstro EQdir USB Stick to allow my Macbook Pro (with either High Sierra or Big Sur) to drive a new Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount.

My Mac does see the EQdir cable as a valid USB serial line (e.g, there is a "cu.usbserial_#####..." entry according to "ls /dev/"), but none of the apps I've tried are able to functionally connect to the mount, including AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Stellarium, or AstroPlanner.

The RJ45 is working fine on the mount -- the Hand Controller functions normally as does my iPhone running the SynScan Pro app through the SynScan WiFi Adapter on the mount.

So I'm at a loss to figure out how to functionally connect my OSX to that mount (I really don't want to return the cable for a refund as damaged goods), so any guidance (e.g., app or system prefs, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Evans
Site Admin

Re: EQdir USB Stick on a Mac

Post by Evans »

It is definiteny not damaged and it has to do with OSX and any software you use.
Brainebula

Re: EQdir USB Stick on a Mac

Post by Brainebula »

Thanks Evans. It turns out that my problem was that I was mistakenly selecting "Sky Watcher SynScan" as the mount type (since SynScan is the software that normally drives it!) rather than "EQmod" which reflects the protocol of your EQdir. That little fun fact alluded me until today!

My initial attempt was with KSTARS and it connected instantly (that is, after spending a ridiculous amount of time getting confused by all the Indi, etc. parameters that can be set in that app).

Next step is to actually interact by slewing and GoTo'ing a few objects and also revisiting other apps like Stellarium, AstroPlanner, AstroTelescope, etc. and selecting the EQmod option and NOT selecting "SynScan" as the mount type! Fingers crossed!