FocusCube temperature compensation

FocusCube v1 & v2, Zero, Motor Focus Kit (Universal or Zero)
thomsdak

FocusCube temperature compensation

Post by thomsdak »

Please excuse my ignorance but I can find no information of the temperature compensation feature. Is it automatic or do I have to adjust focus when the temperature varies a specific amount? How does the temperature compensation section work? Is there any download information on how to use all the specific settings for the program? I have downloaded the FocusCube manual but this gives very little info on the how to really use the settings.
gpowers

Re: FocusCube temperature compensation

Post by gpowers »

hi, this is not an answer to the previous comment but just a wish for a similar understanding with the Pegasus Electronic focuser Universal Kit (running through a Pegasus UPBv2). I use NINA for my sequencing application and have the Electronic Focuser hooked in NINA but the temp compensation is inactive even though i have an Environmental Sensor attached to the UPBv2.
? - would i be right to think the Pegasus Electronic focuser kit does not have the capability to Temp compensate.
2021-02-23 17_27_53-N.I.N.A. - Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy.png
2021-02-23 17_27_53-N.I.N.A. - Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy.png (25.69 KiB) Viewed 9944 times
many thanks ... gary
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Unfortunatelly temp compensation is not supported in ASCOM driver.
As most people use the V-curve model the temp compensation way is a little bit "old aged" way to focus. It definitely does not ensure that your focus point will be accurate.
Although, we have it on the list to support in in ASCOM driver soon.

By the way this screenshot is for the Ultimate Powerbox v2 and not for the FocusCube.
FocusCube supports in standalone software the temp compensation functionality
MacObservatory

Post by MacObservatory »

Any updates on this support in the ASCOM driver? While I can refocus every degree drop, it's time consuming, and doesn't keep all frames in focus. One nice thing about temp compensation is it gradually keeps the focus as temperatures drop without the need to refocus.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Unfortunately it is not supported yet in ASCOM driver.
As you use NINA why don't you follow the v-curve model.
The temp compensasion model is not very reliable.
V-Curbe provides a visual proof analysis that the telescope is focused.
MacObservatory

Post by MacObservatory »

I have been using it, but here's what tends to happen. Focus starts to drift worse until a refocus triggers with a % temp change or % FWHM change. Temps drop really fast here in Texas once it gets dark. This fast change means refocusing a lot.
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 10.31.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 10.31.51 PM.png (215.62 KiB) Viewed 9573 times
So temp compensation would eliminate these spikes you see in the graph where FWHM creeps up until a refocus is triggered. This wastes time and frames that might otherwise be good with temperature compensated focus. But even with temp compensated focus, a refocus can still happen at filter change or % fwhm change if necessary. It should just happen a lot less often.
Cepheus0815

Post by Cepheus0815 »

Evans wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:24 pm
Although, we have it on the list to support in in ASCOM driver soon.
Do you still have it on your roadmap?

Thanks, Rainer
Cepheus0815

Post by Cepheus0815 »

Can you please answer my previous question: do you still have it on your roadmap and if yes, when is the plan to integrate that feature? Thanks, Rainer
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

It is going to be available by the next Unity release. End of August or early September of 2022
Cepheus0815

Post by Cepheus0815 »

Awesome, thank you!