UPBv2 does not Power NUC 11 at Power-on

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
AstroHD

UPBv2 does not Power NUC 11 at Power-on

Post by AstroHD »

Hello,
I am a new user of the UPBv2 and just installed an Intel NUC 11 I want to power from the always-on 12V port from the UPBv2.
But it doesn't work always - what do I mean with that?

The whole power of my astronomical setup is behind a Relay Switch. Only if I switch on this relay, the 240V power is available at the mount, telescope etc.
If I turn the relay on, I can hear the 12V power supply sending 12V to the devices, including the Intel NUC 11, indicator: the LED of the power switch is lighting up.
But after a second, it goes off again, and the NUC is not starting (BIOS settings are correct, if I am using the original 19V power Supply behind the relay, it fires up the NUC.)

My backup idea was to send a WOL magic packet to the NUC, but it still stays off (the NUC seems completely off power as even the LEDs on the RJ45 LAN port don't light or blink.)
And even if I push the power-on button the NUC doesn't start.

Only way to fire it up is: pull off the 12V cable from the always-on port on the UPBv2 and plug it in again, then the NUC is starting as expected. Not an ideal workflow when planning to operate the setup completely remotely.

Any idea how to solve this?

Unity Software reports an output voltage (when the NUC is running) of 12.7V, the PSU used is rated at 20Amps.

Thank you,
Herwig
cheers,

Herwig
astrohd.de
haythrower

Re: UPBv2 does not Power NUC 11 at Power-on

Post by haythrower »

I have NUCs on my imaging rigs and there doesn't appear to be any easy fix. You need 19V for reliable operation.
AstroHD

Post by AstroHD »

Oh dear, this would mean the reason for me to buy a UPBv2 (to power a NUC from the 12V always on outlet) just disappeared :(
Thank you anyways.

Herwig
cheers,

Herwig
astrohd.de
RobinBrown

Post by RobinBrown »

Hi Herwig,

The Pegasus power box will supply a live 12v output for your NUC. The power port to use is the one on the right hand side of the power box where the usb ports are.

Also, you will need to go into your NUC Bios and change some settings.

Enter Bios F2
then goto
Advanced
Power
Power Sense ( add tick in box)
After Power Failure (Power ON)
Save exit bios
------
When the NUC senses power on the 12v port it will power up the NUC.

you are now good to go.

Robin
UserX

Post by UserX »

I’m running a headless NUC 11 i7 with 2 SSDs and 32 gigs of DDR. I found that if the input power supply is not up to the task, the NUC will fail to boot in the manner you described.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

If voltage levels drop below 12.0V the NUC will reset. It is preferable to have a PSU that outputs 12.8V and use thick cables to avoid voltage drops and keep voltage above 12V :)