Ultimate Powerbox V2 with ASI6200 or ASI120

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
bnred777

Ultimate Powerbox V2 with ASI6200 or ASI120

Post by bnred777 »

Hi, I can't seem to get my ASI120MM-S or ASI6200MM to operate when plugged into a USB 3.0 port. It seems to work when plugged into the USB 2.0 ports. Why would it not work in the USB 3.0 ports, they are USSB 3.0 products?
jimc8ngt

Re: Ultimate Powerbox V2 with ASI6200 or ASI120

Post by jimc8ngt »

Before my UPBv2 mysteriously went dark, I found that some USB 3.0 cables worked perfectly with my ASI6200, and some didn't work at all. If you have other cables laying around, give them a try.
BillyBoyBoy

Post by BillyBoyBoy »

I have a Pocket Powerbox Advance and I found that an ASI6200MM and a guider camera (in my case an SX Lodestar X2C) just can't be on the same USB line back to the laptop. I tried all variations of it, and through the Pegasus of course.

What you may have experienced is that when the ASI6200MM is plugged into a USB2 port on the box, it would run at USB2 speed on USB2 bandwidth... and I can't even recall if it even worked, but I know I tried it in my troubleshooting. Put it on USB3 with another camera, and I'd get timeout errors in TSX. I tried all sorts of variations to the connections, and for the guide camera tried both an ASI174MM (a USB2/USB3 camera) and the Lodestar (a USB2 camera), and no joy. I even tried different and shorter cables to figure in the potential 9m USB3 cable length limitation, including the cables ZWO provided with the camera. No joy. I didn't try an active powered USB3 cable and I didn't try a USB3 cable with AWG larger than 24/28. I tried every USB Traffic setting as well. No joy.

What I ended up with that reliably worked every time is this:

USB line 1 from Pegasus box to laptop: ASI6200MM + ZWO FW + ThirdLynx Focus Motor
USB line 2 from mount hub (Paramount MyT) to laptop: SX Lodestar X2C + mount

Unfortunately, at least for my setup, is that I can't have that tidy single cable run from the Pegagus that has all my components hooked up to. I can't blame the box. As I understand it, it's a USB3 bandwidth limitation.

I also found that the 12V power that needs to go to the ASI6200MM had to come from the adjustable power port, not one of the static 12V ports. It turned out the static ports didn't have enough amperage and the cooler couldn't get down to temp. Plugged it into the adjustable port, et voila!

Bill
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Bill, in TSX, did you go in the settings dialog for the camera and tried to lower the bandwidth to avoid the timeout ?
I set mine to 40 and it works a lot better than with the default value.

Regards,
Rodolphe
SEMills

Post by SEMills »

I have experienced this same problem with an ASI6200MC Pro camera. The camera will work fine in a USB2 port on the Ultimate PowerBox V2 but will not work on the USB3 ports. I'd like to have the faster download speeds of USB3. Is there a solution for this? Firmware upgrade?
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Firmware upgrade is not related with the USB Hub.
Either the USB3 hub is damaged and cannot work at USB3 mode or the cable has a problem and cannot have proper signaling for USB3 (Switching to USB2 as failover).
Try to connect the USB3 cable and then provide power to the UPBv2. We have seen cases that QHY requires USB cable plug before inserting power . This is also what QHY recommends. Same applies to ZWO cameras.
Priscos

Post by Priscos »

I also have the same concern as this astram

since the last update my camera 2600mm pro is no longer recognized on the USB3 ports

I changed camera by installing an Asi 462mc: same problem

I changed the USB3 cable: same problem

this one works very well as soon as I connect it to one of the usb 3 ports on my laptop

as soon as I plug it into one of the USB2 ports of this ultimate powerbox the camera is also recognized

I told myself that the rest of my equipment should not also respond to the USB3 ports

my filter wheel also works on these USB3 ports

my polemaster also works on these USB 3 ports

my sesto senso V2 also works on these USB3 ports

it looks like there is a problem just with the ZWO camera with these usb 3 ports
Ruediger

Post by Ruediger »

I had the same problem with my ASI6200MM. It was working for a while, then it became unreliable and in the end it did not work at all. I had to replaces the UPBv2 main board two times. With new ones it is working. I hope now it is final, but for the worst case I have one replacement board in the shelve.

CS
Rüdiger
Priscos

Post by Priscos »

me since oddly put the unit it does not work anymore. I put the latest version of the ascom platform but nothing works. :?