NEMA 17 stepper focus motor?

Ultimate Powerbox v1 and v2
Jeffc

NEMA 17 stepper focus motor?

Post by Jeffc »

I have a clement focuser with a robofocus (RF) motor. The RF motor is too slow for the clement.

Here's a post of someone replacing the RF with a Nema 17 stepper. I'm thinking of doing the same.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4068 ... 11-review/

Does anyone know if the pegasus UPBv2 can drive regular off-the-shelf bipolar steppers?
The documentation seems to indicate this, but I'm under the impression the RF uses 12v on the coils while the stepper spec I looked at used 3.6v.

Thx for any pointers or info.
(I'm not very knowledgable with the details around steppers... I understand the principles, but not the myriad of specifications.)

-jeff
Evans
Site Admin

Re: NEMA 17 stepper focus motor?

Post by Evans »

CloudyNights reply is correct. Most motor can work with higher voltage and provide higher torque.
Although, it is advised to better use a NEMA stepper motor that works with 12V in its specs.
If you check http://stepperonline.com you can find a suitable one
This is because the motor can draw more current than 3.6V requires and the stepper controller might not be able to provide this current level.
Jeffc

Post by Jeffc »

Thx for the pointer to stepperonline.

I'm reading the UPBv2 manual and see this on page 8 (https://pegasusastro.com/wp-content/upl ... l_v1.5.pdf)

> Controller can only drive unipolar & bipolar stepper motors. It can support max 2.4 Amps (1.2 Amp per phase).

I see the 1.2 amps / phase.

However, I'm unclear on what voltage is used (which would determine the current draw of the stepper).
Is it 12v?

Assuming 12v, then yes the steppers rated at 3.6v / 1.5amp will draw much more current at 12v.

Ok.. so checking stepperonline, there's not a lot of 12v steppers in the popular with low current ratings Nema 17 form factor.

I did find a nema 14 rated at 12v , 0.4A , 30 ohm coils. This seems to be well under the rated 1.2amps for the UPBv2.
The holding torque is 20 oz. in., but the focuser I have has nearly zero lift required -- the clement has spring hinges and a lead screw for adjusting the focus requiring near zero effort to move.
(I was looking for something with a bit more holding torque, but I think think is ok for this purpose.)

Btw, The nema 17 motor I happen to have is rated at 3.6v and 1.5amp/phase.
If I understand correctly, this will draw too much current from the UPBv2.

thx.
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

The stepper controller of UPBv2 provides 12V to motors.
I recommend this 12V rated motor: SKU: 17HS15-0404S.
The 3.6V will work (current draw should be fine for the UPBv2 controller) but as I haven't tested it I cannot recommend it
Jeffc

Post by Jeffc »

Thx Evans.

That's what I'm thinking also.

-Jeff