using the Falcon Rotator on a RASA 36 on top of a Planewave L500 mount

Questions and feedback about the rotator itself, adapters, de-rotation etc
DMBastro

using the Falcon Rotator on a RASA 36 on top of a Planewave L500 mount

Post by DMBastro »

Greetings

I am curious to see if the Falcon Rotator can be successfully mounted onto the RASA 36 (using the Celestron supplied 48mm Male adapter) and how and / if the Pegasus Astro stand alone software can and does integrate with Planewave's PWI4 mount control software?
The desired goal is active field derotation on an alt/AZ mount for the purpose of EAA and public outreach.

Any and all advice and recommendations are welcome.
Evans
Site Admin

Re: using the Falcon Rotator on a RASA 36 on top of a Planewave L500 mount

Post by Evans »

Hum. Are you sure that this approach will not hide lots of light as falcon is not round.
DMBastro

Post by DMBastro »

Greetings Evans,

Since the RASA36 has a 356.6 aperture (99874 mm^2 area) and the Falcon's body measures 180 mm x 140 mm ( 25200 mm^2 area) the total obstruction by area is about 25% for the 36. (for comparison sake the native CO for the C9.25 is 22% by area - stock). The central obstruction for this particular RASA is quite large , approx 158mm dia ( 19607mm^2 area aka 19% obstruction by area) so I believe the rotator body should only stick out and block a relatively small additional amount of incoming light with minimal negative effect.

I noticed that the stock Flacon Rotator comes standard with 1 M54 male to 2" nosepiece and a M54 male to M48 male adapter. For the rotator to work with the RASA 36, I would need a M 54 male to M 48 female adapter (scope side). Does Pegasus Astro carry such an adapter?

Thoughts?
Evans
Site Admin

Post by Evans »

Yes indeed, the obstruction will be small in area.
We have this thin adapter PEG-ADAPT-M54M-M42F (not in Falcon package)
Check here for all available adapters: https://pegasusastro.com/products/adapters/
DMBastro

Post by DMBastro »

Thanks for the info on the adapter. Great news indeed!

How does or does the stand alone control software interface with PWI4 (the control software for the Planewave)? What needs to be in place for seamless operation?

Thanks in advance.